We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English Premier League

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
English Premier League

I would like to plan a surprise trip for my husband, his brothers, and their father to catch a few matches in August/September. Does anyone know if the schedules/fixtures stay relatively the same from one year to the next? It appears the schedule/fixture was released in June last year and I am worried that is cutting it close to their travel window.

I thank you in advance. (I can't ask my husband b/c I want it to be surprise!)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,145 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English Premier League

The fixtures are never the same. A lot depends on who qualifies for the likes of the Champions league etc as these matches have to be scheduled too.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English Premier League

The schedules can be subject to change, not least because some if the teams will no longer be in the EPL having been replaced by those that have been promoted.

TV has a big say in when matches are played and expect changes to the published schedule to suit the broadcasters.

Central Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English Premier League

Thank you. I do not know much about football/soccer. But, I support his habit. I shall wait.

Many thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: English Premier League

Any particular team? Knowing that can help people give general advice on how difficult it may be to obtain tickets to a match involving that team. Don't know how closely you follow things, but in very general terms, the Premier League matches are weekly like they are in the NFL. It's not like baseball or basket ball where they play a bunch of games. Squeezing in two or three matches might be hard to do. Unless maybe you do one on a Saturday and another the following day. Currently, there six clubs in the London area. But as mentioned previously, hard to say what it will be like next season.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 23:45
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
191 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English Premier League

I'm planning on trying to go to the Fulham-Norwich City match at Craven Cottage on April 12th. This year's schedule came out around June 18th or 19th. As others have noted, there are a lot of variables, TV being the biggest. For me, Fulham is not one of the more popular "big" clubs, and neither is Norwich, so the odds of it being moved for TV and selling out are pretty long. Much will depend upon whom they want to see and where they want to see them. Either way, you're correct...you'll have to wait. In the meantime, Wikipedia and some of the big British newspaper websites (The Guardian, The Telelgraph, for example) are your friends in determining the Premier League landscape.

Central Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English Premier League

I truly appreciate all of the help and tips. The Tripadvisor community is great!

Oh, they really don't care which team. Possibly Arsenal, Fulham, and Liverpool. Mostly just a male bonding trip.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 02:18
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English Premier League

The first weekend in September is set aside for international matches (it will be qualifiers for the 2016 European Championships) and there will be no Premier League or Championship games in the days running up to then, or in the days after.

There's a chance that England will have a match at Wembley Stadium on either the 7th, 8th or 9th of September. The draw for the qualifiers takes place on February 23rd, so we should know the schedule soon after that, and well before the English domestic fixtures are announced. There may also be a friendly game mid August (just before the EPL season opener).

Follow http://www.thefa.com/england/fixtures to see if a match shows up for when you are in London.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 02:52
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,179 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English Premier League

Doubt you'll get Liverpool away tickets for a london match in the away end due to ticket allocation being small and going to season ticket holders that have attended 5/6 previous away fixtures. Of course that doesn't prevent them going to fulham say as a home fan - just don't wear away team colours or openily support the away team as you'll get thrown out.

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: English Premier League

Let's be honest, Fulham won't be in the EPL next season. Those who deifintely will be include, in London, Arsenal,Spurs, Chelsea, in the North West Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Everton.

QPR may also be there.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: English Premier League

While Fulham have hardy set the world on fire this season it's far too early to be declaring who wil and won't be staying up/going down. Especially given there's 14 games to go (for most teams) and there's only 6 points separating 20th and 11th. It only takes a mini run for that to happen and yes, while any given team down the bottom still has to do that it's certainly far from impossible as we've seen many many times in the past.

The relegation battle always go down to the wire on the last day and this year won't be any different.