We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Paddington to Gatwick on Sunday 745 am

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
How to get from Paddington to Gatwick on Sunday 745 am

Hey all,

I am hoping you can help! The dilemma is: I have a 745 am flight from Gatwick airport on a Sunday. Gatwick Express will be closed that weekend.

My hotel is in Paddington area and I am already booked there for the night prior (otherwise, I would be staying in Gatwick).

Can you please kindly give me suggestions that are cost effective, yet reliable modes of transporation? I will probably need to be at Gatwick no later than 615 am for some safety room.

Thanks so much!!

Kris

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,685 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Paddington to Gatwick on Sunday 745 am

Which date?

What's available will depend on the specific engineering works that day. There may be Southern services from Victoria (cheaper than Gatwick Express) and/or First Capital Connect from St. Pancras (even cheaper).

But with a 7.45am flight I'd cut my losses with the Paddington hotel and overnight at Gatwick anyway.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 05:37
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,890 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Paddington to Gatwick on Sunday 745 am

This might be one of those few occasions where booking a car service to Gatwick actually makes sense.

I will leave others to come up with recommendations.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Paddington to Gatwick on Sunday 745 am

Assuming that the GEX isn't running also means no other rail services are, then you could either be spending a lot on a car service, or take a cheap train the preceding night and stay near Gatwick. Given the early time I'd be inclined to the latter as in post 1, and get an extra 90 minutes sleep and cut out the admittedly low risk of road delays getting there as well.

FWIW as you mention "cost effective" GEX is never that, it's double the cost to save 5 or 10 minutes.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Paddington to Gatwick on Sunday 745 am

a car service would be around £50-£60

but you will need pickup around 4.30am (ugg!!)

at that time of day the drive to the airport SHOULD only take around 45mins

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,138 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Paddington to Gatwick on Sunday 745 am

I wouldn't stay in Paddington for a 7:45am flight EVEN when the trains are running normally.

But tell us the date you are travelling as I've checked every Sunday from now until the 20th April and all of them have trains running fairly normally & I see trains running every 30 minutes from 3:00am

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,925 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from Paddington to Gatwick on Sunday 745 am

'at that time of day the drive to the airport SHOULD only take around 45mins'

If you decide on a car service I would tell them you want to be there at 6am and let them say how long the journey would take. Not sure it would be as quick as 45 minutes as it can take me 40 minutes from Beckenham at 3am.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from Paddington to Gatwick on Sunday 745 am

The trouble with late night / early morning road journeys is, that's when they tend to do major roadworks, the sort that involve closing a whole motorway, and you can end up with worse jams than in the daytime. Been the done that. A few months back I was caught up in unpleasant separate jams on m23, m25 and m4 at about midnight.

So I wouldn't be cuttting it close in time just because it was early "just in case", and would go with the advice in post 1, cut your losses stay at Gatwick.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from Paddington to Gatwick on Sunday 745 am

Thanks for your feedback.

I am leaving on Feb 23. Totally did not realize the problematic earliness of my flight until the planning process.

I have decided I will likely sleepover at Gatwick airport. I could take a taxi (how much?) from Paddington to Victoria. Then, take a bus ie. National Express or rail in the middle of night.

Bus or rail?

Suggestions? Thanks!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,138 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from Paddington to Gatwick on Sunday 745 am

As I said earlier, there are plenty of early morning trains to Gatwick from central London on ALL Sundays for the forseeable future

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…first

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get from Paddington to Gatwick on Sunday 745 am

Assuming there are no engineering works affecting the journey on the weekend you are travelling, I would take the circle line from Paddington to Victoria and then a train to Gatwick from there, the night before. I've stayed at Gatwick the night before early morning flights several times and can recommend the Premier Inn (right outside the North Teminal, so you can walk) and the Travelodge Central (there is a shuttle bus to/from both terminals) if you don't want to spend too much.