We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denham or Beaconsfield?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Denham or Beaconsfield?

My wife and I are landing at Heathrow this Wednesday at 10:30 at night. We'll sleep at EasyHotel and then have the morning until we have to be back at Heathrow at 1pm for a 4 pm flight. We will rent a car so we can do something with our morning. So which do you suggest seeing? Denham, Beaconsfield, or both (if both, will we have time for that?).

Thanks

Josh

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denham or Beaconsfield?

Ah, well that answers the question I asked in the other thread.

I wouldn't visit either, nor would I rent a car. I'd get a prebooked car to Windsor at the airport , stay there overnight, sight see in the morning, then another taxi back to Heathrow.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Denham or Beaconsfield?

A little too late for that, but assuming I hadn't made any plans, what's there to see in Windsor besides the castle?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,086 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denham or Beaconsfield?

Denham is a pleasant place to stay but you can see it all in 15 minutes on foot. You could certainly combine with Beaconsfield but they might not be my first choice in your circumstances.

In Windsor, apart from the Castle ( inhabited for 1000 years) there is the Great Park, the Thames, a walk across the bridge to Eton.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,408 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denham or Beaconsfield?

Denham is delightful and there are some lovely walks to be had in and around the village but NOT at this time of year after all the rain. The small main street has an interesting church, three pubs (the Swan is the best), a small village green and a nice Italian restaurant but unless you stop for lunch you will be in and out in 10 minutes.

Beaconsfield is larger and there are a few local independent shops but again nothing to detain you for any length of time on a cold wet February day.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Denham or Beaconsfield?

Thanks for your replies, they are useful. I am very into medival/old times looking places (towns, buildings) and I've heard both Denham and Beaconsfield are just that. Also, I like proper English pubs. The Royal Standard or England in Beaconsfield is both a pub and a cool olden day place, so thought we'd go check that out, but they open at 11am which would leave us an hour an a half before having to head back to the airport (and since I'm driving, I wouldn't be able to have as many pints as I would like, especially considering the fact the driving on the left side of the road will be a first for me which will probably leave me feeling drunk without having any pints).

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,408 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denham or Beaconsfield?

"...and since I'm driving, I wouldn't be able to have as many pints as I would like,"

Please be very careful before even thinking of drinking. We are all different but as little as one pint could put you over the top especially if you are not eating and even if you are not over the top your reactions will be affected.

It's as much about other people as yourself - you are welcome to kill yourself but others might be involved not to mention those who will have to clear up the mess you leave.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Denham or Beaconsfield?

Yes, thank you. What I meant by that was since I'm driving, I'd only be able to have a half pint or a pint if we get there early enough to give it some time to wear off.

UK
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denham or Beaconsfield?

an erudite as usual well intended solicitous comment that speaks volumes of attention to extetrnal matters .Re Denham and Beaconsfield West" I would be reluctant to dismiss both in such a way, even climate wise though in some eye perhaps both lacking the facilities of Watford "Gateway to the north.I like both and if cold at least there are plenty of places to eat -the best at W is the Grove and ridiculously over priced and corporate prices. Whereas both B & D are not restricted to coroporate prices.Possibly little exploration on net migh be worthwhile. Enjoy Royal standard - used to be my local once.Hope you have good holiday

regmaiche

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Denham or Beaconsfield?

A little too late for that, but assuming I hadn't made any plans, what's there to see in Windsor besides the castle?

-----------

The old town around Eton, all the antique shops there, river walks, plenty of shopping, the long walk up to the statue and the view back down into Windsor. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_Great_Park

And far less time spent getting there.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Denham or Beaconsfield?

Ok i think you've convinced me. Any good pub recommendations for Eton?