We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Americans living in England

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
229 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Americans living in England

A question for all you Americans lucky enough to live in England. How did you get there? And you know I don't mean "on a plane."

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Americans living in England

My wife is from San Fran and she got here by marrying me :-)

I'm working out an IT contract in London and she has just finished a term teaching at a London school to give her some UK class time.

(So is now fully acquainted with the next generation of Chavs in training! ;))

We're hoping to be settled in Cornwall (where I am from orginally) by Sept!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Americans living in England

I'm still living on both sides of the Atlantic, only thing different is that this year I'm in London more than back in the US. ;)

My husband and I met on the beach in Longboat Key, Florida (Sarasota) in early March 2002. We were married on April 8, 2005 and I received my Visa for the UK last July. He was born in England but lived in the San Fran area during part of his elementary school years and also lived in Philadelphia for 3 yrs after graduating from Manchester University here in England.

Within the next couple of months we hope to buy a house within train commuting distance to the city, are looking in Henley on Thames for the perfect home. ;)

Cambridgeshire UK
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Americans living in England

My husband is stationed here with the USAF, so that's how we got here.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,876 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Americans living in England

My daughter was working for an actuarial consulting firm in the Boston area, and she was sent on secondment to the Epsom UK office for 7 weeks. While there, she met Dave, who worked in the Epsom office, and after she went back to Boston, they continued correspondence, etc. After a few trips by each across the pond for visits, they decided that whoever got a job first in the other's area would move. She was hired by the office in Epsom, and so she moved to England. A year later they were engaged, and a year after that, they were married. He's a Brit, grew up in the Portsmouth area.

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Americans living in England

This is along the lines of a previous thread.

All those who may have nostalgic memories about England do consider we now have no 5th Amendment .And are subject o ovverseas laws.

If I weren't so decrepit I would move the other way Vermont sounds nice. The uk has yet to reap what has been sowed during the last 9 years

Good luck to any one intrepid to move tho don't forget above

Gerlis

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Americans living in England

You don't have to get married to move - check out the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme through the Home Office - especially if you are under 28 (it is a points based system and easier if you are under 28), I am pretty sure that US citizens are eligible for this Programme.

Also, if you can claim Commonwealth citizenship (and are under 30) via a Canadian, Australian or NZ or other commonwealth country connection, check out one of the working holiday programmes.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Americans living in England

My husband came over for a two week business trip 31 years ago! I'd love to say it is all because of me that he stayed but he had been here 16 months before we met. His greatest story is how he arrived on the 4th November and could not understand why everybody was burning their rubbish the next evening! He soon had Guy Fawkes explained to him LOL.

Chico
Level Contributor
370 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Americans living in England

JBart: Guildford is a lovely town. When I win the lottery (:>) I plan to buy a home there. The high street, the river, the bookstores, everything I need in one beautiful location. Has it cooled down yet, or are you still sitting in the wine cellar?

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Americans living in England

Hi Sierra

No I'm still sitting in the wine cellar but about to relocate to where my little picture is! It's not so much the heat but the lack of rain which is the problem. We have a ban on watering our gardens anyway except for by hand with a watering can :( As you can imagine all the plants are wilting. I was so glad that you loved Guildford. It's great to hear you praise it so often and good to have a satisfied customer. For me it has everything shops, area of natural beauty, history, entertainment, sports all in a nice contained area. Next time you must pop in and see me.

Judy

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Americans living in England

To be perfectly honest, I would have preferred that my husband move to the US rather than my moving over here. I do like it here, just would prefer not having to live here!

You can all quit your gasping now!!

Gerlis, Vermont is lovely. However, my favourite parts of New England are the parts along the coastline in New Hampshire and Maine.