We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Query re using train & 2 for 1 tickets based in Brighton

Australia
Level Contributor
511 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Query re using train & 2 for 1 tickets based in Brighton

We are arriving in Gatwick on Sunday 8th June. We will travel by train to Brighton where we have booked a B&B. We intend to travel by train to visit Portsmouth Historic Dockyard (day 1) Arundel Castle (Day 2) and Lewes Castle/Rye on (Day 3). At the moment it would appear that we could get 2 for 1 tickets for the Portsmouth Dockyards/ Lewes Castle and Ann of Cleves House. I think I may also use the 2 for 1 ticket in Brighton but have not worked out what we would like to see yet. Can someone tell me what type type of train ticket I should ask for? Should I book my tickets online before leaving Australia? I think we will be booking the 2for 1 tickets in advance. We are going back to Gatwick on Friday 13 June.

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Portsmouth Historic Dockyard
Portsmouth Historic...
6,740 Reviews
Portsmouth, UK
Arundel
Arundel
Arun District, UK
Lewes
Lewes
East Sussex, UK
Rye
Rye
East Sussex, UK
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,454 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Query re using train & 2 for 1 tickets based in Brighton

Rather than post this on the London forum, I think you will get better and more accurate answers by posting on the Brighton and Portsmouth forums.

WIthout wishing to be dismissive, I suggest you use the 'report inappropriate content' button at the bottom of your post and choose 'Remove my post'; after having done that, post again in the Brighton, Portsmouth and Rye forums.

The two for one tickets cannot be booked in advance, since you must have proof of rail travel on the day you wish to use the offers. I suspect you will not need to book rail tickets in advance, but keep an eye on www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times and fares as well as planned works that could mean rail replacement buses for parts of some journeys at weekends.

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Rye
Rye
East Sussex, UK
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Query re using train & 2 for 1 tickets based in Brighton

Scotty,

For your day trips to Portsmouth, Arundel/Lewes and Rye you will buy return train tickets. Keep both portions of each ticket (do not put them through the automatic barrier when you arrive) and you'll have the rail tickets you need for 2-4-1. For the day trips it's the outbound portion of the ticket you need (the part TO Portsmouth, Arundel and Rye).

If you want to use the 2-4-1 in Brighton, then buy return rail tickets Gatwick-Brighton-Gatwick. Again, keep both parts of the ticket (no automatic barriers). You'll need to show both parts of the return tickets for 2-4-1 in Brighton, as they will cover you for the whole duration of your stay in Brighton.

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Arundel
Arundel
Arun District, UK
Lewes
Lewes
East Sussex, UK
Rye
Rye
East Sussex, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Query re using train & 2 for 1 tickets based in Brighton

You can certainly print your vouchers out at home, saving you trouble. You needn't fill in the date, just leave it blank.

You can search further on the daysout website by area.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/default

Scroll down on the home page, and look for the map of the UK, in blue. Click on the southeast part, (the area around London, which is red). From there you are given several choices. You can go through different areas and see what is available.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Query re using train & 2 for 1 tickets based in Brighton

no automatic barriers

They do actually have automatic barriers at Gatwick now.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Query re using train & 2 for 1 tickets based in Brighton

"no automatic barriers .... They do actually have automatic barriers at Gatwick now."

Just to clarify that "(no automatic barriers)" meant "don't use the automatic barriers" as per the day trips. Sorry for the confusion.

And in the case of the Gatwick-Brighton return tix, the place not to use the automatic barriers is on arrival at Brighton, where you do not want the outbound part of the ticket to be eaten. Use the inspector manned barrier and explain you need to keep the ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Query re using train & 2 for 1 tickets based in Brighton

<,You needn't fill in the date, just leave it blank.>>

My experience is you do need to fill in the date but that it doesn't get printed on the voucher so you are free to change your mind.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Query re using train & 2 for 1 tickets based in Brighton

You may care to look into using a South Coast Downlander ticket for your longer trip --see

railrover.org/pages/south-coast-downlander.h…

But Southern make them so difficult to buy, it's a real faff. They do give you a bit of flexibility, however (ideal for spending an hour en route somewhere)

I used one a couple of years ago, and the staff seemingly hadn't seen one for years!

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Query re using train & 2 for 1 tickets based in Brighton

Great tip Loughtonian. Southern don't advertise that very well, a sure sign that it's a good deal for punters.

The Network version for £2.50 more (still just £3 for kids) extends the ticket to East Croydon, which presumably means that Gatwick is also included.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Croydon
Croydon
Greater London, UK
9. Re: Query re using train & 2 for 1 tickets based in Brighton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 06:18