We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short apartment stay

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Isa, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
short apartment stay

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about the following properties. We are visiting London for 5 nights; 2A and 2C. We want to see the main attractions like Westminster Abbey, St Paul's Cathedral, Natural History Museum, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London as well as spend some time at Portobello markets, Borough and Maltby markets, Southbank and see the Lion King. We would like to be central to evening meal options. they all look okay but wondered if one of the locations would be better. thanks in advance, first time visitors to London

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3595810

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3595803

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p441681

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p871055

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p412402

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1058358

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p414083vb

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: short apartment stay

1 and 2 are both by Vive Unique. There have been some negative comments about this agency in the past. Enough for me not to recommend them. Also, I think those flats are overpriced.

3. Personally, I'm not all that keen on that location. Nothing wrong with it, just not as convenient as some locations of your other flats.

4. Reasonably priced flat, but not a lot of restaurant options in the immediate area. Another location that is not as good as some of your other options.

5. I stayed in that flat in 2010. Good location with plenty of restaurants and grocery stores in the immediate area.

6. There are three flats in this location by this company: http://fastletapartments.co.uk/ I didn't see the rates on these flats so hard to say whether they are a good deal.

7. This flat is one of the best priced 2/2 flats in London, if it is available then it would be my first choice. If you want to see more photos of this flat, then go to Ivy Lettings website (but don't rent through them as they charge more than booking directly with the owner).

Personally, this is how I would rank them: #7, #5, #6 (if the rates are reasonable); then #3 and #4 a tie.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: short apartment stay

As a reminder, after you have made contact with the landlord via email, always give them a call to confirm that you are dealing with them and not someone who has hacked their email. (It's known as a phishing scam and there have been problems on HomeAway with this issue in the past).

On the tie breaker, I'd chose #4 over #3.

Edited: 04 February 2014, 13:54
Mount Isa, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short apartment stay

Thank you for your advice, sadly, #7 flat was unavailable and #5 did not have a clothes dryer. I found 2 others of interest that also looked okay, and email sent to #6

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1310662

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p414515…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: short apartment stay

#5 had a washing machine/clothes dryer combination when I rented it. There's at least one launderette nearby.

I did really know the area around those last two flats. Seems like a bit of a hike to the nearest tube station.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: short apartment stay

Sorry, should read. "I don't really know the area around those two flats."

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: short apartment stay

Regarding clothes dryers... many (most) rentals will have one of those washer/dryer combo units. The dryers in them don't work very well. We almost always end up hanging wet clothes around the flat and they dry faster than using the dryer. So not having a dryer needn't be a deal breaker.

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: short apartment stay

Dear Nico,

As has been pointed out, we do indeed manage rentals in the last apartment you sent through, and we advertise at a higher rate that you'll see here. Our many thousand guests over the past 5 years have used us (and indeed return year on year) and rate us consistently "Excellent" precisely for the service we offer, which extends far beyond the property itself. It includes advice on where to stay given our clients' precise criteria (exactly as you set out in your post, eg which sights you want to be near to), how to get there (we arrange private taxi transfers), what to do when you're here (we arrange London tours), luxury bed linen and towels, professional cleaning and a fully managed service during your stay meaning you have somebody to call 24/7 if something happens (eg boiler stops working, you get locked out, you need a doctor). We're well suited to deliver all of the above (and a good deal more) because we're hospitality professionals and we're based here in London. I guess what I'm trying to say is... you get what you pay for! Vacation rentals is about much more than just the property itself, it concerns the whole experience. This is what we do and why we're in business.

If we can help with your trip, please do be in touch either by email or phone, we'll be delighted to help: www.ivylettings.com

Best wishes

Guy van der Westhuizen

MD, Ivy Lettings London

Mount Isa, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: short apartment stay

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have a shortlist of 2 places near Shad Thames (the Ivy Letting property above) and 2 in near Waterloo Station. Might have to do a pro and con list.

Mount Isa, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: short apartment stay

I have also found this one, looks like a great location

holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/…214818

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: short apartment stay

That location is excellent. Only problem is you're dealing direct with the owner so I would insist on paying by credit card and asking for references (not just relying on the 'testimonials'). If she procrastinates, move on.