We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to find the cabdriver

Gothenburg, Sweden
1 post
Save Topic
Trying to find the cabdriver

Hello i was in London this weekend and my flight home was on sunday. I wanted to post a letter before i went but the postoffice was closed so i asked the cabdriver to post it for me. I was in such a hurry so i forgot to write the return address and ask for the cabdrivers telephonenumber. I realised this when the cab was driving away, so i remembered the license plate. Is it possible to get in touch with the cabdriver? is there any agency i can call?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to find the cabdriver

If it was a Black Cab, you could try via The Public Carriage Office. But no guarantees.

the-london-taxi.com/Public_Carriage_Office

Edited: 04 February 2014, 18:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to find the cabdriver

I didn't quite understand what you were saying but the PCO is now run by LTPH (londo taxi private hire) at TFL (transport for london). You can contact them through the TFL website.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to find the cabdriver

Am not sure what you mean, you can post a letter any day of the week as long as it has the correct stamp on it, did you ask the cabby to purchase a stamp for you and then post it?

And why did you need a return address?

Was this for the letter - in which case it will be too late - or were you meaning to give the cabby your address?

You can purchase a stamp from any number of retail outlets on a Sunday and post it anywhere.

Why do you want to contact the cabby, to thank him/her for going 'above and beyond' I would hope rather than asking for any further favours.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to find the cabdriver

Hobnob,

Sorry if I got it wrong. But as a layperson, I wasn't aware of the change.

OP: Ignore my first post. I can't delete it using a phone.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to find the cabdriver

Hi,

Yes, you could get from here as long as you clarify what you are saying.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to find the cabdriver

No problem, I don't know who is in charge of us from one day to the next.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to find the cabdriver

Peterpatat, was this a London taxi or a private hire vehicle ("minicab")? And when you say "licence plate", do you mean the vehicle registration number (on a yellow plate at the rear such as AB63CDE or X456ABC) or do you mean the white rectangular plate on the rear of a taxi showing the taxi licence number?

If it was a minicab and you noted the reg number on the yellow plate, go to https://tph.tfl.gov.uk/TfL/home.page , click on Licence Checker, then on Private Hire Vehicle Licence Checker, enter the number in the "VRM" box and click Search. You should then get some details of the operator.

If it was a taxi, I don't think you can find the information online. You would need to contact TFL Taxi - Private Hire via their website.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,486 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to find the cabdriver

I'm with McVitie.

9. Re: Trying to find the cabdriver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 06:19