We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire at St Pancras Station

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire at St Pancras Station

we get off Eurostar at St Pancras in September 2014. Need to hire a larger vehicle to accommodate four adults and luggage for two days travel to Doncaster. Any tips/experiences as to good company close to St Pancras?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,332 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire at St Pancras Station

Two reputable companies that arrange cheap rentals with the major companies are www.autoeurope.com.au and www.driveaway.com.au

London
Level Contributor
9,185 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire at St Pancras Station

Do you need the car to see somewhere en route? There are direct trains (from Kings X which is adjacent to St Pancras) to Doncaster, about two hours. Train will be a zillion times quicker and less stress.

There are no car rental facilities at St Pancras. The nearest all involve a short walk (or bus/taxi ride).

If you are intent on driving, Europcar have a depot about a half mile away on Pentonville Road. Hertz are in Southampton Row, about a mike away (and inside the congestion charge zone). Avis are in a side street by Euston about a quarter mile away. Traffic throughout the area is ghastly at all times.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire at St Pancras Station

Since (I assume) you have reasonable size luggage which has been on Eurostar, then continue by train to Doncaster.

The idea of hiring a car is madness

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire at St Pancras Station

First, second and third choice: train!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire at St Pancras Station

Thanks very much for your guidance I will now reconsider my original plan to drive up to Doncaster/York. Whilst I do drive for a living here in Perth I appreciate from your feedback that driving is likely to be slower and very stressful. Thanks again to you all.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire at St Pancras Station

It looks like a drive of 2hr 50 minutes, against a train journey of 1hr 37 minutes.

If I look a couple of months ahead train tickets are mostly £18.50 one way. If you try to book too far in advance, cheap tickets have not yet been released and the price is more like £90. Leave it too long, and the cheap tickets have all been bought!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire at St Pancras Station

To add to all the other wise words, by the time you have collected your vehicle, paid out for petrol (gas) taxi charges, unless you wish to walk to collect your vehicle, then spend one hour to get out of London and another four hours on the motorway is pure madness.

“Let the train take the strain”. It is but five minutes to walk from St Pancras across the road to the station, with all your luggage, it is no big deal. Take the train to Doncaster and hire a vehicle up there.

Just for information there is another Car Hire company Sixt, I used to use Europcar until they overcharged me. So now I am happy to stick with using Sixt.

www.sixt.co.uk/…

The travel time on the road depends on the time of the day you are leaving, it can take one hour just to get through the Holloway Road, let alone out of London.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,503 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire at St Pancras Station

You can fly Paris or Brussels to Leeds/Bradford.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire at St Pancras Station

Yes you can, but it is more straightforward and very little slower to get from London to Doncaster by train than Leeds-Bradford to Doncaster by car. If going by train book with the eastcoast small groups website for a 25% reduction. http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/3plus

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,629 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire at St Pancras Station

I'm glad you decided reconsider . Getting off a train in central London to rent a car would be akin to stabbing yourself in the eye with a fork.

You should be able to book tickets all the way to Doncaster on the Eurostar site so your connection is protected.