We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Canterbury

Utah
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip to Canterbury

My family and I will be staying in London this summer and want to do a day trip to Canterbury and Dover. I found a tour that goes to Leeds Castle, Canterbury Cathedral, and a quick stop at the cliffs of Dover for $118 (includes transportation and entrance fees). Would this tour be worth the price or would it be better to try it on our own by train?

London
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

Canterbury cathedral would be easy by train, but Leeds Castle and Dover Cliffs wouldn't be quite so straight forward. Perhaps another option might be to hire a car for the day?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

Leeds Castle via train is actually pretty straightforward. Train from London Charing Cross to Bearsted and then the shuttle to the castle.

www.leeds-castle.com/Visit/Directions

www.spottravel.co.uk/leeds-castle

Since Canterbury is on the same line, you could go directly there, look at the cathedral and then back to Bearsted to the castle.

Dover deserves more time - especially to see Dover Castle which is extensive. It seems a pity to go all that way just to see the White Cliffs.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

From some of the reviews I've seen of these tours, a "quick stop" at the White Cliffs of Dover can just mean a distant view from the road without even leaving the coach.

By train then realistically you can't visit all three in one day - perhaps two at a push. But taking the train would give you more time at each location, for example Canterbury is a great small city to wander, or at Dover you could also visit Dover Castle which warrants a few hours alone.

There are GroupSave tickets available for off-peak train travel meaning 4 (or 3) can travel for the price of 2.

By train there are often 2 for 1 offers at www.visitkentoffers.co.uk/2-for-1-offers/ or from the voucher booklets at train stations.

Leeds Castle, Canterbury Cathedral and Dover Castle are normally included in the 2 for 1 but current offers shown are limited as up to 31 March only, so bookmark and check again after that date when they may be refreshed. Leeds Castle 2 for 1 is usually Mon-Fri only.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 20:19
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

>>and Dover Cliffs wouldn't be quite so straight forward. <<

I don't see how. The cliffs are a short walk from the railway station, but the best view is really from a boat. Of course one can also climb on to the top of the cliffs.

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
558 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

I've done Dover and Canterbury in one day and it worked out well. Train from London to Dover. Took a bus to base of Dover castle hill and walked up. I arrived at castle about 10 minutes before it opened. I arrived in Canterbury before 2 by train and walked to Cathedral. Stayed through Even Song that evening. Strolled the streets and walked along the wall--it stays light a long time in the summer. Picked up a sandwich at I think Sainsbury's and took the train back to London that left about 9 as I recall. I certainly could have stayed longer in both towns but I would not have traded my visit to both for longer in one (I have been lucky enough to return to both for longer stays). The train ride was easy and pleasant. My friend and I thought the day was more than we could have imagined--great day!

Utah
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

Thank you everyone for the information! I think we will forgo the tour and have an adventure on our own!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

The best place to see the cliffs is from the ferry to Calais. If you go to Dover go to the castle. The exhibitions and buildings from the Second World War are very interesting. All can be done by train but so much to see!

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

I understand how emblematic the cliffs of Dover are, but some of the most beautiful white cliffs are at Seven Sisters National Park. Those are the ones you can see at the end of "Atonement" or in Kevin Costner's Robin Hood

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

>>but some of the most beautiful white cliffs are at Seven Sisters National Park.<<

It's the Seven Sisters Country Park, and the South Downs National Park.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

I understand how emblematic the cliffs of Dover are, but some of the most beautiful white cliffs are at Seven Sisters National Park. Those are the ones you can see at the end of "Atonement" or in Kevin Costner's Robin Hood.

==========================

I still remember the roar of laughter that went up in the London cinema during Kevin Costner's 'Robin Hood' when they're standing at the White Cliffs and Robin says something along the lines of: "we'll be at my father's house in Nottingham by nightfall".

It takes about 2.5 hours by car - and you're walking.

I don't think so!