We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Market or Karl Marx Walking Tour

Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday Market or Karl Marx Walking Tour

My family only has 1 Sunday in London and wanted to visit a Sunday Market as well as going for the KARL MARX THE WALKING TOUR. The walk is from 11am to 130pm. Can I do both? Which is a must go Sunday Market? Please help. Thanks.

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday Market or Karl Marx Walking Tour

We always take in the Bastille Market, they have a website. You can look up the location which is adjacent to the Bastille Monument in the Marais, about one km or less north of Notre Dame All manner of merchandise, men's and women's clothing, purses, shoes etc. and food for sale. Go early, 0800, and you can probably still do your tour if the starting point is not too far away. Learn the metro and it will whisk you rapidly from Bastille to your tour.

California
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday Market or Karl Marx Walking Tour

Don't forget to buy your Eurostar ticket first! ;)

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday Market or Karl Marx Walking Tour

London, not Paris.

Personally I have never understood why tourists are so keen to see the markets. Who knows, perhaps it's because I'm a native that I don't appreciate what I have on my doorstep. Shopping, to me, is a chore, not a thing that I do on holiday! But I suppose that if I had to choose one I'd say Camden, for its unique character, size, variety, and, as I have learned from this forum, worldwide fame. However, Camden is open 7 days/week, so I don't suppose that it counts as a Sunday market. To be honest, I don't think that I really know what a Sunday market is. Perhaps somebody will be able to enlighten me. I'm assuming that it's not just a market that's open on a Sunday. Personally, if I had a choice between the Karl Marx walk, which would be a unique London attraction, and going to a market, which, well, may or may not be, I'd choose the Karl Marx walk. If you are happy to visit the market on a day other than a Sunday then you should be able to fit in both.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,415 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday Market or Karl Marx Walking Tour

This is for jonaththanquin

http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/markets.htm

But also for anyone else that is interested....

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday Market or Karl Marx Walking Tour

What are these 'Sunday markets'? Who is going on about them?

There are several markets in London but few are just on Sundays. The only one that I can think of (Spittalfields / Brick Lane / Upmarket) wouldn't probably be top of a tourist wish list but is fun if you like retro clothes, small hand-made alternative crafts and stolen bicycles. It's more fun than Camden (gone too commercial now) - but as above, Camden never shuts anyway.

It depends what kind of 'market' you want, really.

Also, love the list EssexWanderer!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday Market or Karl Marx Walking Tour

I should also add, having a closer look at that list, that Petticoat Lane is a waste of anyone's time. The others are either fine or I don't know them that well - West London isn't my forte!

London
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday Market or Karl Marx Walking Tour

The Marx walk finishes at 1.30pm at the British Museum you can go from there to Camden Lock by underground 10 minutes it is open till about 6pm.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday Market or Karl Marx Walking Tour

Marx or Markets - what a 21st century question that is!

9. Re: Sunday Market or Karl Marx Walking Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 07:17