We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help tweak my itinerary please

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kyogle
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
help tweak my itinerary please

I will be arriving in London on 5th March by train from Bristol with my husband and 2 kids aged 6 and 9. We have 9 full days in London. (leaving on 15th)

I have mapped out a rough itinerary and would welcome and tweaks, additions, suggestions on how best to make it work. Not everthing in here is a 'must do', so if anyone can suggest anything I haven't thought of that might be fun for kids, we may be able to substitute.

Wednesday 5th. Arrive by train early afternoon, will be able to leave luggage at our apartment in Earl’s Court prior to check-in. Plan to go by tube to Kensington gardens to play at the Diana park and have a look around.

Thurs – take tube to Leicester square, look around and visit information centre for maps, brochures (need these for travel journals being kept for school). Meander to Piccadilly circus, Trafalgar Sqauare, see Admiralty Arch – anything else we could look at close by?

Visit the National Gallery and follow one of their children’s trails (already printed out)

optional depending on how time is going – wander down the Mall and/or through St James’ park to the Palace.

Friday – take tube to Victoria then catch the no. 11 bus past all the sights to St Pauls. Visit St Pauls using the 2for1. Return by bus to Westminster to see Big Ben, Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey (viewing from outside only). Walk over Westminster Bridge.

Possibly go to St Martin in the Fields to do a brass rubbing. Go to the Palace if we didn't do it the day before

May add on a visit to Harrods toy department or Hamley’s – I gather they are open to about 8pm anyway.

Saturday – Portobello Market, Coram’s field playground, V & A children’s museum. I imagine this will all be done by tube. (we may not get to the museum which is fine, or if the weather is no good we may skip the playground and do the museum – not fussed if we miss out on either of these)

Sunday – Brick Lane Market. Afterwards maybe a little visit to the Museum of London, or will happily take suggestions on other things to do in the Brick Lane area instead. We are going to the market for the atmosphere rather than the buy things, the kids won’t stand for a lot of shopping. If the weather is good we may skip the musem and go to Spitalfiels city farm, or Corams Field if we didn’t’ get there on Saturday.

Monday – Tower of London using 2for1, look at Tower Bridge, climb The Monument. Maybe go to One New Change for the viewing deck.

Tuesday – Go to Greenwich by Thames Clipper, maybe ride the Emirates Air Line, perhaps come back by DLR. Not sure of the logistics of how to work this day. Probably won’t visit the Cutty Sark as we are planning to see the SS Great Britain in Bristol.

Wednesday – visit the Royal Mews. Go to Museum of London if we haven’t fitted it in elsewhere, or the Transport Musem.

Thursday – Transport or Museum of London, whichever we haven’t seen yet. Maybe another trail at the National Gallery, depending on how successful the first visit was.

Friday – day trip to Windsor Castle

Other notes – Hubby is organising to referee some rugby games over the weekend. Plans aren’t definite yet, so I am planning the weekend days to be things the kids and I can do without him and he won’t miss out on any major sights.

I have put the Windsor Castle on the last day so we can get the most out of our travelcards which we will use from Friday to Thursday.

If there are better markets that might be more fun or atmospheric than the 2 I have chosen, please let me know.

We are more interested in absorbing the atmosphere of London than ticking off sights, so feel free to direct me to anything that you think screams 'authentic London' experience.

We don't want to do Madame Tussauds, the dungeon, the science museum, London Eye.

Sorry for such a long post. Would love any advice on what we have chosen.

Thank you in advance.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 00:40
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help tweak my itinerary please

With children then I think Hamleys is a must and they do sell pocket money toys or games. It is far better than Harrods in my opinion.

Other things I would consider are a ride on the London Eye if the weather is ok or take them to the theatre. Maybe Matilda or Lion King might give you a nice family afternoon experience.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help tweak my itinerary please

Very good. I like your planning. Museum of London is good and many children seem to like the Transport Museum too. Kensington gardens is a bit empty I always feel so I don't think it will detain you long. On the way to St James Park which is nice , buy a few peanuts and let your children feed the squirrels and birds, although the pigeons will just swarm you.

Children also seem to love the gory exhibition of Egyptian mummies at the British Museum.

The National Portrait Gallery just off Trafalgar Square may well do you a children's trail too and if one is doing the Tudors at school that section is good.

Harrods toys maybe but also the delicatessen and chocolate departments are worth a look too.

Have a look at the Thames Rib Boat website for a very fast trip along the river.

Kyogle
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help tweak my itinerary please

Wow, the rib boat looks awesome, wonder if I can stretch the budget that far - the downside of a long holiday. I think everyone would enjoy that more than the Eye.

4. Re: help tweak my itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 06:21