We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighborhoods near ExCel - Hotels sold out - Other options?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Neighborhoods near ExCel - Hotels sold out - Other options?

I'm attending a conference at the ExCel in August and most of the conference hotels are already all booked. Would like some recommendations of other London neighborhoods from which ExCel is easily accessible via public transport. Canary Wharf hotels are available. It it a good area? We will be traveling back and forth a couple of time a day and in the evening for conference functions.

We're open to alternative accommodations as well (e.g., flats, B&Bs) but do not want to have to drive as we are left-side-of-the-road novices.

Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighborhoods near ExCel - Hotels sold out - Other options?

'We ,.. do not want to have to drive as we are left-side-of-the-road novices.' There isn't any need to drive from central London to the ExCel Centre, as the DLR will take you there with minimal fuss.

Rather than Canary Wharf, look to the Tower Hill / Tower Gateway area. There are a handful of hotels within five minutes' walk of the DLR station to consider. Have a look at the Novotel Tower Hill, the Grange Tower Hill, the Premier Inn Tower Hill (the latter two in Prescot Street), the Doubletree by Hilton the Tower, the Apex City of London, the Hotel Chamberlain and the Hotel Indigo (the latter two in the Minories).

A little further away, but no more than a six or seven minute walk from Tower Gateway station is the Ibis City of London in Commercial Street. If you're willing to walk through Watney Market, the new Holiday Inn in Commercial Road is worth a look; the Holiday Inn Express near Limehouse DLR station is also one to consider.

But if you would like to sightsee as well as attend the conference, the Tower Hill hotels should be a start point.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,042 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighborhoods near ExCel - Hotels sold out - Other options?

Stratford (sometimes with advantageous rates) or near Aldgate

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighborhoods near ExCel - Hotels sold out - Other options?

<<<, but do not want to have to drive as we are left-side-of-the-road novices.>>>

The idea of needing a car for your stay in London would be complete madness, in a city with such a comprehensive public transport system

London
Level Contributor
316 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neighborhoods near ExCel - Hotels sold out - Other options?

If you are going to be at the Excel and all the hotels at The Excel are sold out, Canary Wharf is your best bet. No matter how late you are in getting back, you will still find people walking around at 2am, and some bars may still be open. The tube though closes at I think, 12.30am

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neighborhoods near ExCel - Hotels sold out - Other options?

Thank you. Is Stratford safe for late night comings and goings? Many of our functions run into the wee hours.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neighborhoods near ExCel - Hotels sold out - Other options?

Wasn't actually planning to, or considering to hire a car; I just wanted to forestall any such suggestions from others and to stress that public transport would be required multiple times per day and in the evening. Thank you.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neighborhoods near ExCel - Hotels sold out - Other options?

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into it.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Neighborhoods near ExCel - Hotels sold out - Other options?

Rather than guessing at some parameters, please let us know a few basics: when in August will you visit and how many nights will you stay? Will you travel with one other person, or are you looking for accommodation for three, four or more? What is your budget in pounds; use www.xe.com to calculate the exchange rate. Are you flying to and from Heathrow, travelling to and from London by rail, or could you have booked from elsewhere to fly to and from LCY (London City Airport)?

Will you have any sightseeing time when in London, or will you be there for the conference only? If the former, how many days have you allowed for this? You mention conference functions; where will they be held?

WIthout knowing much more it's difficult to say what location will suit. Given the choice between Stratford and Tower Hill I would choose the latter in a minute, not because Stratford is dire but simply because it is better situated. Others' views will vary, but I've been underwhelmed by Canary Wharf for many years, and again would prefer to stay near Tower Hill / Tower Gateway than on the Isle of Dogs.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neighborhoods near ExCel - Hotels sold out - Other options?

Parameters are exactly what I am trying to set, so thank you for your questions. The conference is in mid-August and we intend to be there for five days - Thursday through Monday. During the conference, we will be mostly at conference functions which include evening receptions and an awards ceremony with an after party that usually goes past midnight; however, depending on the schedule, we may have time to pop off to do some sightseeing during an occasional morning or afternoon.

Our plan is to either arrive in the UK four or five days before the conference or, if the airfare is better, to arrive just before and stay on after. We would not plan on staying in the same hotel for the additional days. For the conference, we prefer to spend no more than $200 per night although we are flexible. In general we eschew large hotels in favor of B&Bs, inns, and cozy lodgings, but for the conference, location is important. For the rest of our trip, we'd prefer different accommodations.

Flying from the US usually means Heathrow, but not always. We have not purchased our fares yet.

I should add that we've been to London twice before and know it well, but the last trip was in 1996, long before the redevelopment of the docklands, which is why I'm asking all these questions.

Thanks again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Neighborhoods near ExCel - Hotels sold out - Other options?

Thanks.

A budget in dollars of any flavour is subject to change every day between now and August. Your budget of about £120 is modest, and for that reason I suggest you look very closely at the Premier Inn Tower Hill along with the PI London City (Monument). The rates at the Apex City of London, Novotel and Grange Tower Hill are probably going to exceed your budget.

Have a look as well at booking a short stay flat here: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hamlet_uk/ St Katharine Dock is no more than five minutes' walk from Tower Gateway station, and a flat stay will give you a different experience than that in a hotel.

Olympia & York first broke ground at Canary Wharf in 1988, so by the time you visited London in 1996 the area would have already undergone significant change from what it had been in the past. Changes have certainly taken place in the last 18 years as well, some more advantageous than others (a discussion for another time and place, as views will vary).