We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids on the Underground - turnstiles

Campinas, SP
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kids on the Underground - turnstiles

Hello all,

I understand my kids will travel free on Underground, buses, DLR, etc...

They are 10 and 8 years old.

What is the procedure for them to pass on Underground turnstiles since they will not have a ticket?

I also would like advices on how to procedure on buses and trains.

Thank you!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids on the Underground - turnstiles

You use the manned barrier. If you have an Oyster card for yourself you'll touch in at the manned barrier and the inspector will let you all through. If you have a travelcard you just need to show it to the inspector.

It's the same for National Rail and essentially buses although on the bus there's no barrier and you explain to the driver that your kids are under 11.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids on the Underground - turnstiles

I probably don't have to tell you this but please when taking your children on the underground do ask them to vacate their seats for older people if there are not enough seats - which frequently happens on the underground - recently have seen children regularly sitting down whilst older people stand, even I will vacate my seat for an older person or pregnant woman and I am well over half a century old, I believe this is a common courtesy, but as I said you probably already know this and your kids will probably already know what to do, however, just in case, I thought it bears repeating.

Enjoy.

x

London, England
Level Contributor
275 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids on the Underground - turnstiles

National rail they will need a ticket, though theres a few exceptions where it dovetails with the Overground but mostly they will need a ticket to Hampton Court, Windsor etc. where they have a ticket they put it through the barrier and walk through on their own.

If theres noone at the manned barrier then get them to go through very quickly just in front of you. There will be staff at the stations you are using though.

Agree with monrowessex about the children sitting where adults are standing it really is very annoying, I make my ten year old stand up and sit the youngest on my lap.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids on the Underground - turnstiles

"Agree with monrowessex about the children sitting where adults are standing it really is very annoying"

Why is it annoying? People don't expect to get a seat on the tube at busy times. It's nice if someone offers you a seat, but as an able-bodied adult, I certainly don't expect it. Indeed, if the train very crowded, I wouldn't want my young grandsons to have to stand squashed between much larger adults.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids on the Underground - turnstiles

When I was a child, the local bus companies had it on the back of the ticket - half fare paying passengers must vacate their seat for full fare paying passengers. That's how I was brought up - to give up my seat to an adult when required. I don't really see what has changed.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids on the Underground - turnstiles

Last time I was in London I saw a lot of adults giving up their seats to children.

For the OP, you will usually (if not always) want the wide barrier, which IME is usually at one end or right in the middle between the in gates and the out gates. That's usually where the staff person is standing. They also seem like they don't close as fast so it's easier to get children through.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,928 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids on the Underground - turnstiles

I actually think monroeessex was referring specifically to elderly/less able people or pregnant women rather than adults in general, as an able bodied adult I wouldn't expect anyone to give up their seat to me.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,404 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids on the Underground - turnstiles

Strictly speaking the barrier line doesn't have turnstiles, but paddles.

At London Underground Stations you will find someone on the barrier line most of the time, usually by the wide accessible gate. This person will let families with children through - also people with luggage and pushchairs can ask to be let through this gate.

If there is no-one available the barrier line must be left open - although the Oyster card readers will remain live and anyone using an Oyster card must still touch out.

At most National Rail Stations it is the same. Some have no barriers but will have an Oyster Card reader for touching in and out.

DLR (Docklands Light Railway) Stations are mostly barrier-less, with Oyster Card readers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids on the Underground - turnstiles

"I actually think monroeessex was referring specifically to elderly/less able people or pregnant women rather than adults in general, as an able bodied adult I wouldn't expect anyone to give up their seat to me."

Thanks Helking, that is exactly what I meant, and anyone who bothered to read my reply properly would have deduced that.

I don't know why whenever someone says anything about children and good manners they are automatically shot down in flames, I have grandchildren too and wouldn't want them to be squashed between adults on the underground but if I saw an elderly/disabled person or pregnant woman I would ask them to get up and either sit them on my knee or hold onto them, and if alone I would get up myself.

We can say these things surely without having to continually justify ourselves.

10. Re: Kids on the Underground - turnstiles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 17:35