We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Southwark Underground station

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Capetown
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick to Southwark Underground station

Hi

We will arrive at Gatwick on a Sunday afternoon at 15:00. We must go to Short Street near The Cut. I'm not sure if this is in Waterloo or Southwark, but I know Southwark underground is near. Can you please advise me on the best way to travel and what the cost would be. I thought we should take the Gatwick express to Victoria station and from there the underground...? Please help?!

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Southwark Underground station

Gatwick Express is generally an expensive way to get to Victoria a few minutes faster than the Southern Trains service to the same station.

But you don't want to go to Victoria anyway from where you'd still have to take two underground lines. If you take the First Capital Connect service to London Bridge you are then one stop on the Jubilee line from Southwark.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Southwark Underground station

Although as you're traveling on a Sunday, always best to check the specific date for any planned works on the lines...

Capetown
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Southwark Underground station

Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
9,298 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Southwark Underground station

Ask at the railway station in Gatwick for the 'FCC travelcard'. That costs £13.50, and covers you for the train ride into London and then any further travel within London on arrival day. You must the FCC train from Gatwick with this ticket.

London
Level Contributor
9,298 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Southwark Underground station

You don't say how many is 'we'. If it's more than two, ask for the 'Groupsave' option.

Capetown
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Southwark Underground station

"We" are a family of four...2 adults and 2 kids aged 12 and 16. Is this FCC Travelcard valid for the tube, buses etc in London as well (for the day of arrival)? Can we use the groupsave option on this card?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,202 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to Southwark Underground station

As this is a Sunday, please let us know your date of arrival, as we need to check for any engineering works on both National Rail and tube.

Also, how long will you be staying in London, and will you be leaving from Gatwick or other means? And are you planning to make use of the 2 for 1 offers? That may dictate the type of ticket you buy at Gatwick.

You will be able to use Group Save yes, but whether a return ticket or travelcard is best depends on the above.

London
Level Contributor
9,298 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick to Southwark Underground station

Yes, the Groupsave travelcard is valid on bus and tube (on arrival day). It would cost £27 for all four of you. Do check the specific date as the FCC route is subject to engineering disruption and diversions (between now and 2018....)

Capetown
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick to Southwark Underground station

We will arrive on 5 Oct and depart on 10 Oct. Both arrival and departure will be from Gatwick. We don't plan to use 241 offers. We thought to buy Oyster cards. But I'm not sure *if we could load the FCC travelcard on it, *if its possible for the kids to make use of the for eg free travel on trams and buses (kids are 12 and 16), as we are visitors, not locals. This intricate system is getting me down! :)

London
Level Contributor
9,298 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick to Southwark Underground station

Oyster covers London (and a few towns a few miles just outside the boundary). Gatwick airport is well beyond London and Oyster isn't valid for that journey. You need a National Rail ticket for the Gatwick to London journey. The FCC Groupsave Travelcard is (by a long way) the best value for arrival day - it covers both the journey into London then travel within London. By all means use Oyster for the rest of your stay, but remember you'll need separate rail tickets on departure day to get to LGW.