We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seek Advice: First Time in London for 6 Nights

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Seek Advice: First Time in London for 6 Nights

Hello TripAdvisor Folks,

Please have a look at my plan and feel free to share your thought on it.

This will be my first time to London so I’m pretty much keen to experience the so called Major attractions. Your help will be of great benefit for a solo traveler.

Thank you in advance TripAdvisor London Community

London Planed Itinerary 7 Days 6 Night

Day 1 Arrival on Fri 28 March 7:30 Heathrow Terminal 3

Tube to Hammersmith then change to District line to Sloane Sqaure

Walk or Bus to Lister Hospital (My rental flat is near this stop)

Find PAYG Iphone5 Sim Card

13:00 St.Paul Cathedral

Big Ben, House of Parliament and Westminster Abbey

Walk to London Eye

Thames River Cruise

Day 2 Sat 29 March

Portabello Market

Notting Hill

V&A Museum

Natural History Museum

Kensington Palace

Harrod

Day 3 Sun 30 March

Tower of London

Tower Bridge

British Museum

London school of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

Day 4 Mon 31 March

St.James Park

Buckingham Palace (Changing of Guard)

Trafalgar Square

Convent Garden

China Town

Soho Square

Leicester Square

Oxford Street

Piccadillly Circus

(Does this seem Doable or too much? My understanding is that these places are not too far from each ones)

Day 5 Tue 1 April

Day trip To Windsor , Stonehenge and Bath

Day 6 Wed 2 April

Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum & Tour

Queen Elizabeth Olympic park Venues

Westfield Stratford City Shopping Mall

Day 7 Thur 3 April

Leave for Paris by Eurostar Train at 13:30

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seek Advice: First Time in London for 6 Nights

FAR too much on nearly every day.

So much that most days are impossible to fit everything in.

I was going to say which days are impossible, but its easier to say that days 5 & 7 are doable and Day 1 might work though are you allowed in your rental flat this early in the morning, say 11am?? Its more common for around 3pm to be an arrival time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seek Advice: First Time in London for 6 Nights

I agree there's far too much on each day.

I'm curious what's at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seek Advice: First Time in London for 6 Nights

Far far to much on days 1 2 3 Trying to mentally do day 4, doable if you like walking.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seek Advice: First Time in London for 6 Nights

Mez3000

To visit my postgrad school , nothing touristy sorry about that.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seek Advice: First Time in London for 6 Nights

Thanks to Joe, Mez and Sandy

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seek Advice: First Time in London for 6 Nights

I've stayed at a flat next to Lister Hospital - allow extra time for "commuting" as the bus (#19?) doesn't run as often as you'd expect. Many times we found it faster to walk to Victoria Station or to Sloane Square.

You are on the edge of Chelsea so be sure to check out nearby sites like Chelsea Physic Garden (double-check opening times), Saatchi Gallery (contemporary art), Partridges (local market), Royal Chelsea Hospital.

http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/visit-us

A good first-day activity is to go have a coffee or meal at the top floor cafe at Peter Jones Department Store at Sloane Square. Excellent views!

Edited: 11 February 2014, 16:24
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seek Advice: First Time in London for 6 Nights

Aim for two 'big ticket' attractions a day and anything else is a bonus, but I agree with the others - far too much on. Some of the museums listed are huge and can take weeks if you really want to explore them. A few hours at the very least for each of them.

Day 2 - Read the reviews on Kensington Palace - many have been underwhelmed.

Day 4 - Changing of the Guard will take more time if you want to get there early enough to be able to see anything. After that, the other places are close enough if you just want to wander around.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seek Advice: First Time in London for 6 Nights

Wow, your going to be busy. You might want to do St. Pauls on the same day as you do the Tower as they are close by. that could help clear up day 1

Day 2. You aren't going to see much. Museums close at 5:30. if you want to visit many of them, do it on the Friday (Day 1) as they are open till 8pm or 8:30.

Day 6, Wimbledon is quite a distance away from central London and also quite a distance from transportation (from what I can remember, it was quite a walk to the club) Do you like tennis that much? You will be travelling from basically one end fo the city to the other. Westfields is fine, but if you are in central London anyway, then you'll see all the same shops. Not sure if the park should be on your itinerary as there isn't much to see just now. Well there wasn't in Nov when I was last there. I'd say that it's really mostly for locals so they can take advantage of the different buildings. It is nice, but there is also a lot of greenery in central London. Hyde Park, Green Park etc. Again, it's quite a distance out when you could be doing other things on your itinerary that you've missed or would like to spend more time doing. You could easily spend 5-5 hours at each museum.

For PAYG, check out Carphone warehouse. They are all over the place and they seel all carriers.

Good luck, and fee free to change your itinerary for us to check out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seek Advice: First Time in London for 6 Nights

Best to have a couple of major attractions per day and keep a couple extra in the wings just in case.

And nothing is written in stone, if you are going to one major attraction and on the way see something you are interested in why not stop for a 'look-see' and simply re-arrange your itinerary.

Enjoy don't over-think it.

x

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seek Advice: First Time in London for 6 Nights

Wimbledon isn't too bad. Train from Waterloo to Wimbledon, come out of the station, then two options: taxi or bus.

Taxi - there's a black cab rank outside the station. Hop in cab and say "All England Club, Church Road" or just "Wimbledon Tennis" - they'll know where.

Bus - out of station, turn right, turn right again on Alexandra Road (by the Argos) and go to the bus stop for the #493. Get off on Church Road directly outside the Club.

Reverse to get back to Wimbledon Station.

There are other directions from Southfields, which is slightly closer. I'm just more familiar with the journey from Wimbledon, that's all.

wimbledon.com/en_GB/contact/getting_here.html