We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green?

Hello!

I'm wondering what is the easiest and/or cheapest way for 4 adults to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green.

How much would a taxi cost? Could 4 people and their luggage fit into one taxi? It's always just been me and another person in my past visits and from what I can remember, I'm not sure if 4 people and 4 suitcases would fit in a taxi...unless larger ones are available for the same price?

Would it be less expensive to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington then a taxi from there? I don't really fancy the thought of dragging suitcases up and down tube stations if we were to take the tube from Paddington to Bethnal Green. Buses might be easier to handle, provided that there aren't too many transfers and walks between stops and the Town Hall hotel aren't far...

Also, it might be a long shot, but I'm hoping to do a walking tour that starts at 1 pm in Covent Garden on the day we arrive. I thought it would be a good intro to the city. Barring delays, we're supposed to land in Heathrow Terminal 3 at 10:40 am on a Tuesday. Do you think it's possible for us to get from Heathrow to the hotel, drop-off our bags, and make it to Covent Garden by 1 pm? Or is it cutting it too close?

Thanks for all the help!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green?

Taking the HEX to Paddington when your destination is London E2 is counterproductive. It will also remove far more money from your wallet than necessary.

Most London black cabs can hold up to five pax plus bags and some will hold six, but you need not take a taxi from Heathrow unless again you have money that is doing nothing but cluttering up your house.

There is an escalator up from train platform to ticket hall at Bethnal Green station but then you will have 26 steps to climb to street level. The change at Holborn station would require use of a long escalator, stairs down and a walk of about 40m on the flat (and at a very busy station).

Consider splitting the difference between taxi and Underground. From T3 Arrivals walk to the station and board a train towards central London. Alight at Hammersmith and walk across the platform for an eastbound District line train. Alight from that train at Blackfriars, where you will find escalators (or a lift) up to the ticket hall and street level.

If memory serves there should be taxis in Queen Victoria Street just around the corner from the station entrance, but if not then walk a litte way towards Ludgate Circus along New Bridge Street and look for a taxi with its orange For Hire light on, hail it and ask to be taken to the Town Hall Hotel in Bethnal Green. Fare shouldn't be more than £15 - 18 unless traffic is dire.

If your flight from YVR departs and arrives on time, you should allow about an hour to disembark, go through passport control, collect your bags and walk to the Underground station. The journey to Blackfriars will take about 50 minutes, then another 10 or 12 to the hotel. In short, it's very unlikely you would be able to make your way from the hotel back to Covent Garden for a walking tour at 1300.

You mention taking a bus, and the 388 from Blackfriars station *does* travel the length of Bethnal Green Road and stops not too far from the Town Hall Hotel, but with four people and baggage you may find things a bit snug, as the bus will very likely be crowded with passengers from the stop in Bishopsgate for Liverpool Street station. The 388 wlll be empty at Blackfriars (its start point) so you could hop out at Wormwood Street (just before Liverpool Street station) and take a taxi from there, saving a bit of taxi fare if you wished. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/blac… and tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…bethnal-green.pdf with stop G (announced as Old Ford Road) a short walk from the hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green?

Thanks for the detailed info!

A taxi from Blackfriars might be the better option for usinstead of adding the bus ccomponent. £18 is a little easier to swallow.

Just out of curiosity, how much would a taxi from Heathrow to Bethnal Green cost? To minimize the transfer at Hammersmith, how much more would a taxi cost if we stayed on the line and got off the tube at Green Park or King's Cross instead of Blackfriars? (Both have disability signs on the tube map so I assume they have step-free access too?)

Thanks for all the help!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,169 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green?

A taxi off the rank at Heathrow will set you back around £80 depending on traffic. A pre-booked car service would be slightly cheaper and a taxi from Green Park to Bethnal Green is maybe £25, again depending on traffic

The problem is, Heathrow is way to the west of London and Bethnal Green is east of the main city so you need to travel through a very busy central London. Kings Cross will be cheaper than a taxi from Green Park as it is knid of north east of the City and the taxi won't have to go through central London

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green?

" To minimize the transfer at Hammersmith"

The transfer at Hammersmith literally involves getting off one train and walking a few steps across the width of the platform to catch another.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 10:41
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green?

I was in Bethnal Green last weekend and saw a sign in a local mini-cab firm offering transfers to Heathrow for c£40. That's probably at the low end of what you'd pay and Heathrow pick-up might be more expensive as the driver will have to park so they can meet you at arrivals.

It's almost the same distance by road from Kings Cross to Bethnal Green as it is from Blackfriars. However, Blackfriars station is a lot quieter, so that's where I'd choose to get off and be looking for a taxi.

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green?

HEX is around £21-25 per adult single Then cost from Paddington

Tube is cheapest option. There is a taxi rank outside blackfriars station at start of Queen Victoria St. Between £14-16 to Bethnal Green

Licenced taxi fron lhr to E2-E8 £75 pre booked heathrowairportlondontaxis.co.uk/onlinebooki…

Immigration, customs and baggage claim at heathrow will set you back nearly an hour so getting to covent garden by 1pm I doubt very much

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green?

The only chance of making the 1pm walk (still not guaranteed) would be to jump on the HEX to paddington, then a taxi to Bethnal green, literally dump your bags then back in the taxi or tube to covent garden, Total cost would be around £110 - £120. If you can get to paddington by 11.45am, you should make it...but is it worth it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green?

Just a thought but it may be possible to store your luggage at Charing Cross station (a short walk to Covent garden), not sure if this is possible but I'm sure someone on here could say? This would allow you to take the much cheaper option of the tube.

London, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green?

Hello

Forget all the complicated hopping on and off various public transport, I'm sure you don't want to do that after a long flight with heavy bags any way, and no need to pay through the nose for a black cab taxi either. Book a private transfer with www.simplyairports.co.uk. I used them last month when I went to Thailand from Heathrow and they were fantastic and cheap. I live in Shoreditch (right next to Bethnal Green) and it cost £30 there and £35 back. Just tell them what time your flight lands and they will have a driver waiting in arrivals. They will wait 45mins after for free and the cars are very comfortable. You may need to pay a little more than we did for a bigger vehicle but I'd imagine it still works out cheaper and more convenient than tube/train/bus/taxi combos for 4

As for the walking tour, I'm am almost certain you won't make it. It will probably be 11.30 by the time you clear immigration and collect your bags then the drive to Bethnal Green will take at least an hour, then checking in and taking your bags to your room/changing etc... you're already at 1'o clock and Covent Garden is half an hour away by tube.

BTW you're staying in a fabulous hotel, the Town Hall is lovely. Be sure to visit Brick Lane market on a sunday (assuming you'll be here) and go with an empty stomach! enjoy

London, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from Heathrow to Bethnal Green?

hello again. I've just been on their website and it's £45 for a 4 pax car with bags. thats £11ish per person, the HEX alone is £21 each, plus a £30 black cab! It's a no brainer if you ask me