We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bloomsbury, Mayfair or Marylebone with Teen/tween?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
86 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Bloomsbury, Mayfair or Marylebone with Teen/tween?

Hello all!

We are planning a summer trip to the UK with London being our first stop. We plan to spend 5 nights in London. It will be husband, kids ages 14 and 12 and I. We spent a week in London 2 years ago and stayed at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge. We LOVED the hotel and the view but thought the area lacked a bit especially in terms of shops and nice restaurants. We wanted to try a different area this time. Preference is for a lively, nice-looking area, close to the tube but where we can also walk around and to shops, pubs, restaurants, etc. Right now, we are considering the following hotels: Marriott Park Lane , DoubleTree West End and The Landmark. The websites of the hotels indicate they are located respectively in Mayfair, Bloomsbury and Marylebone, but you never know if they are really in the best area of these neighborhoods. This is why I am including the names of the hotels in this email. I am aware that there are differences in price among the hotels, but I would like to focus on area rather than price right now. Where would you stay to have the experience I described above? Many thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bloomsbury, Mayfair or Marylebone with Teen/tween?

Well Pete, maybe you give the OP some where to stay in Covent garden.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bloomsbury, Mayfair or Marylebone with Teen/tween?

I think adamhornets's suggestion of the Bloomsbury Hotel is a good'un; the Montague on the Gardens isn't a bad choice either. I too find Mayfair stuffy and sterile, and although Oxford Street west of Oxford Circus is the better stretch of road, its charms are limited as well.

The Landmark's location in busy Marylebone Road removes much of the appeal of the hotel itself, although one might hope that the waiter in the resto there would be a tall, slim chap, wearing [borrowed] spectacles, sporting an absurd drawn-on moustache, ridiculous accent, and suggesting only zee finest French Champagne.

If the Bloomsbury and Montague on the Gardens don't appeal, how about the Thistle Kingsley or Radisson Blu Edwardian Hotel in Bloomsbury Street?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,685 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bloomsbury, Mayfair or Marylebone with Teen/tween?

"Well Pete, maybe you give the OP some where to stay in Covent garden".

The chances of me working out what the OP wants is slim to nil.

I think your original suggestion was the best.

14. Re: Bloomsbury, Mayfair or Marylebone with Teen/tween?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 06:18