We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR to Vauxhall

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
340 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
LHR to Vauxhall

I will arrive at LHR on a Wednesday around 1300. I will only have a wheeled carry on.

I am thinking about taking either the express or connect train to Paddington and then transferring to bus 36. How easy is it to transfer from the tube station to the bus station. In other words, are there steps?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR to Vauxhall

Travelling to Paddington when your destination is Vauxhall is rather like travelling to from Texas to New York via Whitehorse.

Unless you are very much averse, take the Underground. Take the Piccadilly line from LHR to Green Park station. Alight there and take the escalator up to the ticket hall then turn around on yourself and take another escalator down to the Victoria line platforms for a train towards Brixton. Alight at Vauxhall station.

The change at Green Park is quite easy to do, and there is an escalator up from the train platform to the ticket hall at Vauxhall station.

Where is your destination from the station?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
340 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR to Vauxhall

Thanks TravelerPlus! I was trying to avoid 80-90 minutes in a tube after flying in a tube for 17 hours:)

You are right. I have used the route you suggested before and it is step free. Except for exiting Vauxhall station. The lift has been broken for the last three years, at least!

Have a great night.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,641 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR to Vauxhall

The tube journey shouldn't take more than about 50-55 minutes. And at Vauxhall there are escalators up to the ticket hall. One of the exits is step free, and the others have only about 20 steps up to street level.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,249 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR to Vauxhall

Or get a bus to Feltham, it's a short trip, and a main line train from there to Vauxhall.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,641 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR to Vauxhall

The only problem with the Feltham route to Vauxhall is that (a) a huge number of stairs - 45 and not shallow - down from the National Rail platforms at Vauxhall, and (b) only every other train from Feltham, so one every 30 minutes (plus the slow trains on the Hounslow loop) calls at Vauxhall.

For Waterloo or Clapham Jct. (and if the tube is out due to engineering works or strikes) yes the Feltham route is viable. But the tube is easier to Vauxhall.

(And I'm a fan of the Feltham route and done it a few times)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
340 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR to Vauxhall

Thanks everyone. It looks the best route in on the tube.

7. Re: LHR to Vauxhall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:21