We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with Heathrow airport

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with Heathrow airport

I am arriving on Air Canada from Calgary were supposed too arrive in terminal 2 and connecting too Amsterdam on British Airways and departing from terminal 5, I only have 2 hours and will my bags be checked through or will I have too recheck my bags?will I have too go through customs/immigration. I booked this itinerary through expedia

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,326 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with Heathrow airport

Unless you plan to travel after 18 June, your AC flight from YYC will arrive at LHR T3 rather than T2.

Have you booked a through ticket, YYC-LHR-AMS, or have you got a separate ticket for the flight from LHR to Amsterdam? AC and BA belong to different alliances, so if you have separate tickets it's very unlikely that AC ground agents will check your bags through on a BA flight with a separate ticket.

Have you got one PNR (pax name record aka locator code aka confirmation number) for the flights or two PNRs? If the latter then expedia.ca have booked separate tickets and you will need to go lanside to connect.

Let us know more about the ticket(s) you were sold, as well as when you plan to travel and the time of day your flights are scheduled to arrive from Calgary and depart to Amsterdam.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with Heathrow airport

Sorry we will arrive in LHR June 25 and it was all together no seperate ticket

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with Heathrow airport

The AC flight arrives at 10:00 AM and the British Airways flight leaves at 12:00

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,326 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with Heathrow airport

Thanks.

If expedia.ca have managed to make a single booking then your bags will be checked through from YYC to AMS. Please keep an eye on your booking at the AC website to determine the terminal building at which your flight will arrive, as that AC move from T3 to T2 could (stress that word) be subject to change.

Let's say all will go smoothly in June and AC will have moved to T2 by the 25th. Since no one has used the Flight Connections process from that terminal building yet we can't say what it will be like, but if it will be like connections from T3 to T5 then the process should take about 20 minutes from disembarking to walking into T5.

At (what will be) T2 follow the signs for Flight Connections. Board an airport bus to T5, with buses every eight to 10 minutes and the trip across the airport taking about 10 minutes as well. At T5 you will go through a security check at Flight Connections and then through to Departures.

With an arrival at 1000 you will be at T5 after the bulk of early morning long haul flights will have arrived, but be prepared for a queue at the Security checkpoint. Gates will be shown at 45 minutes before scheduled departure; if your flight to AMS shows as departing from gate A10 or A11 then make your way there quickly as they are bus gates, where you will have yet another bus ride to a remote stand to board the plane.

Two hours should be enough for an airside connection, but it leaves very little time for potential hiccoughs. If - and this should not happen - AC won't check your bags through then you will have to go through passport control, collect the bags and then go as quickly as you can to T5, which may mean a taxi journey. Let us hope that this will not be the case on the day and that all will go well.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with Heathrow airport

Sorry I figured out that there are 2 PNRs

UK
Level Contributor
6,871 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with Heathrow airport

If there are two PNRs then your chances of making it are very slim and Expedia should never have booked you on these flights.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with Heathrow airport

Get back to Expedia and have them change one or both flights. 2 hours is grossly insufficient.

8. Re: Need help with Heathrow airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:21