We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time tourists - Marriotts County Hall vs. Marble Arch?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
1st time tourists - Marriotts County Hall vs. Marble Arch?

Advantages/disadvantages of either? Is one much preferable? Also, how would Park Plaza Westminster compare/stack up to either of these?

Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Park Plaza Westminster...
18,358 Reviews
London, UK
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Brit Movie Tours
Walking Tours, Film & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Babylon Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time tourists - Marriotts County Hall vs. Marble Arch?

The County Hall location is arguably better than the Marble Arch location. I can't comment much on these specific hotels themselves, as after much research about which Marriott to stay at, I used my points for Grosvenor House.

Mentioned in this post
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
81 Reviews
London, UK
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
490 Reviews
London, UK
Grosvenor House Suites by Jumeirah Living
Grosvenor House Suites...
382 Reviews
London, UK
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time tourists - Marriotts County Hall vs. Marble Arch?

I can't say much pertaining to the hotels as i haven't stayed in either, but as for the locations, well both of them are really good. They are pretty much equidistanct from all the main tourist attractions. All depends on what you want really. County hall is close to the Thames which would be nice if you like walking as the southbank has some really nice walks. Marble Arch you will probably find to be a quieter area at night as it's a tadd off the beaten track. Personally i'd pick County Hall. You are just over the bridge from the Houses of Parliament and a short walk later you could find yourself at Trafalgar square and the West End or even down the Mall to Buckingham palace.

If you are up for it, you can walk all the way down the southbank past the London Eye, and a busy section with tourists and book markets and bridges all the way up to Southart to visit the Market and the Tate Modern and hope over Tower Bridge to The tower of London. Again, that's if you are up for it. This walk would take 45 minutes to an hour with good shoes on but for the most part it's lovely on a nice day. If you go at low tide you will possibly see people creating sand sculptures on the beach. Don't get excited by the word beach here. it's just a sliver of sand that shows up twice a day.

Now to Marble Arch. Close by is Hyde Park, and if you like shopping, walk down Oxford Street to Oxford Circus then down Regents Street. That will take you some time going in and out of shops, but i'll tell you this, it's busy, really busy,

As I said most of the main tourist attractions within walking distance, or possibly on a bus distance away from what most people go to see. If you choose Marble Arch, there is a museum close by that most tourists probable don't visit but is quite interesting. The Wallace Collection is probably a 5-10 minute walk away. Make sure you see it. It's small yet perfectly formed.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
81 Reviews
London, UK
Marble Arch
Marble Arch
498 Reviews
London, UK
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
22,847 Reviews
London, UK
Tate Modern
Tate Modern
8,514 Reviews
London, UK
Tower Bridge
Tower Bridge
29,536 Reviews
London, UK
Tower of London
Tower of London
52,800 Reviews
London, UK
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
16,950 Reviews
London, UK
Oxford Street
Oxford Street
4,217 Reviews
London, UK
Wallace Collection
Wallace Collection
5,790 Reviews
London, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
The Thames
The Thames
195 Reviews
London, UK
Virginia
Level Contributor
649 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time tourists - Marriotts County Hall vs. Marble Arch?

We've stayed at the County Hall Marriott several times & would definitely pick County Hall over Marble Arch. The location is excellent. Our other favorite London Marriott is Grosvenor Square which is a different property than the JW Grosvenor House.

You can't go wrong with any pf the properties I mentioned. But if this is your first visit to London than I would select County Hall. I don't think the Marble Arch property is as well located as the others.

Mentioned in this post
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
81 Reviews
London, UK
Marble Arch
Marble Arch
498 Reviews
London, UK
Grosvenor Square
Grosvenor Square
64 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
London Marriott Hotel Twickenham
London Marriott Hotel...
907 Reviews
Twickenham, UK
Grosvenor House Suites by Jumeirah Living
Grosvenor House Suites...
382 Reviews
London, UK
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
490 Reviews
London, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,841 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time tourists - Marriotts County Hall vs. Marble Arch?

The Park Plaza is in the same general South Bank area as the Marriott County Hall but may work out a little cheaper. It's a large, modern ever so slightly hip hotel but I haven't been inside either Marriott so can't compare like for like. If it's a lot cheaper then I would give it serious consideration.

Mentioned in this post
South Bank
South Bank
1,464 Reviews
London, UK
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
81 Reviews
London, UK
naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time tourists - Marriotts County Hall vs. Marble Arch?

I concur with hotdoggirl...... we stayed at the London Marriott Grosvenor in November and loved the location. It is set off from the busy streets by a long block - just 5 minutes from American Embassy, and 10-15 minutes to really nice shopping.

We walked by Marriott Marble Arch (not all that far from Marriott Grosvenor) and the area was much busier and noisier.

Just my opinion......

Mentioned in this post
Marble Arch
Marble Arch
498 Reviews
London, UK
London Marriott Hotel Twickenham
London Marriott Hotel...
907 Reviews
Twickenham, UK
The Grosvenor Hotel
The Grosvenor Hotel
4,570 Reviews
London, UK
American Bar
American Bar
850 Reviews
London, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,110 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time tourists - Marriotts County Hall vs. Marble Arch?

County Hall is a vastly better area IMO - better transport links, walkable to some key sites, on the South Bank (in itself a major, wow I'm in London experience) and plenty of places to eat and drink nearby.

The PPWB is the nicer hotel IMO, newer and with very good bathrooms. The Marriott CH could arguably do with a refurb although Marriotts do generally have good beds and are well maintained.

If you do go with the PP ask for a room on a higher floor though. You can hear the thump from the bar till the early hours on lower floors on the bridge/Big Ben side. You could also look at the PP County Hall.

I think some of the posters above are confusing the Marriott Marble Arch with the Marriott Park Lane btw. I wouldn't call the Marble Arch property a particularly noisy location but it's only real advantage is it's near Oxford St and it's less convenient generally.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 11:01
Mentioned in this post
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
81 Reviews
London, UK
South Bank
South Bank
1,464 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
27,930 Reviews
London, UK
Marble Arch
Marble Arch
498 Reviews
London, UK
Park Lane
Park Lane
83 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
490 Reviews
London, UK
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time tourists - Marriotts County Hall vs. Marble Arch?

County Hall -- a much more interesting location

Mentioned in this post
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
81 Reviews
London, UK
Stamford...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time tourists - Marriotts County Hall vs. Marble Arch?

Thanks everyone - we ended up booking the Park Plaza Westminster!

Mentioned in this post
Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Park Plaza Westminster...
18,358 Reviews
London, UK
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
29,801 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time tourists - Marriotts County Hall vs. Marble Arch?

You'll not be disappointed.

Come and enjoy.

10. Re: 1st time tourists - Marriotts County Hall vs. Marble Arch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:27