We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pocket money

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zagreb
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
pocket money

Hello!

I´m planning my first visit to London at the end of august and I am travelling on a tight budget. We´ll be staying in a hotel at Norfolk Square and breakfast is included in our room price. Someone told me that I would need 300 £ for 5 days (you know - transport, food, a beer or two...). Can someone please tell me if that´s true?

Thanks!

Zagreb
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: pocket money

Dear Mr Cellophane,

I answered your question before you asked it?!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: pocket money

>at the Royal Court theater (Sloane Square) and all seats are 10 pounds on Mondays.<

Now there's a tip! xyz What did you see?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: pocket money

Hi, nightcrawler28. LOL, I thought it was £300 for 2 people! I started writing before the "how many" question. But, here's how you can make that happen. £300 per person is much better, a lot more relaxed and more fun! Here it is :

I'm of the opinion that £300 for 5 days for 2 people IS budget travel! Let's work that out:

daily latte, £3.50x2x5= £35, bal 265 (priorities!)

transport (7 day Oyster, best rate I think) £22x2=£44, bal £221

£1 donation (skinflint!) at free museumsx2x2per day x5= £20, bal 201

lunch (you'll have to research for this rate, no drink) £6.50x2x5= £65, bal 136

dinner (ditto, not much to speak of) £8x2x5= £80, bal 56

add a pint each to dinner £3x2x5= £30, bal £26

£26 mad money, toilets, souvenir, phone, all other contingencies

It's unrealistic to expect to walk everywhere. Central London is huge, and although I advocate walk, walk, walk, it's still realistic to take the tube to your destination area then do the walking. Don't get caught in the "it's just one ticket" trap. That's very expensive. £22 is a terrific bargain (and I haven't researched a 3-day card). Do the regional-transport research suggested by the previous poster to trim your transport cost.

If you drop the lattes and donation entries, you'll have an extra £11 per day to work with. That'll cover beverages with your meals or upgrade your meals. It takes more planning to get by comfortably on less money, otherwise you'll spend a lot of time wandering the streets looking at one window menu after another.

Better idea : double your budget! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: pocket money

If you really not bothered about food that much. Subway have a daily special that's £1.99

And Benjy's sandwich places reduce everything to a £1 after 3pm.

Have a look here http://www.londonfreelist.com/home.asp for some ideas on things to do for free

Zagreb
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: pocket money

Hey, britfan! I just looked it up in a dictionary - I am not a skinflint! :)) I just don´t have lots of money. This trip is a birhtday present to myself and, believe me, I wouldn´t mind spending much more if I could.

Thanks for the calculation, that´s just what I needed! And I totaly approve of your priorities, but I take my coffea black...

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
340 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: pocket money

britfan,

I saw the new Tom Stoppard play Rock 'N' Roll which was quite good. Perhaps not the very best Stoppard ever (for instance, years ago I saw The Real Thing which was one of my favorite plays ever) but the production was really fun with the use of vintage music and the performances by Rufus Sewell, Sinead Cusack and Brian Cox (especially Sewell).

I enjoyed my matinee at the Globe two weeks earlier, no doubt. But taking the Tube to Sloane Square, walking the few steps to the Royal Court, ice cream at the interval, people-watching in the lobby and bar and seeing such a world-class cast in a play with such a London (well, OK maybe Cambridge) vibe to it was just totally a high point of my vacation. And all for US$20-odd including the ice cream? Get outta here!

Actually, to be honest I had pre-purchased two seats in case one of my English acquaintances wanted to join me at the last minute so the total bill was about US$50 all up. One neat thing was the "program" available at the door was actually the entire script of the play and it was only two or three quid. Remarkable, what a souvenir.

Lately the show has transferred to the Duke of York's and I rather doubt they are selling any tickets for 10 pounds...

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: pocket money

Just a clarifaction to Cubechick's otherwise excellent post -

London Bridge itself is a low bridge (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge for some pictures) and although the views are excellent they are no more so than any other bridge in London. Tower Bridge is the iconic bridge but you do have to pay £5.50 to explore this london landmark. www.towerbridge.org.uk

My favourite free bridge is actually two bridges in one. It is the Jubilee Hungerfood foot bridge that runs either side of the Hungerford Railway Bridge that links Charing Cross and the South Bank.

Boston...
Level Contributor
897 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: pocket money

Thank you for the clarification. I had been told that you could climb the stairs to the pedestrian walk for free, but that of course you could tour the Tower Bridge for a fee.

I had planned on skipping the tour myself, but since I ended up purchasing the 3 day London Pass, I figure I might as well take the tour since it's included in the cost of the Pass!

Thank you again!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: pocket money

Tom Stoppard, Rufus Sewell for £10? I'll take it! Thanks for the details, Brent SC. I'll definitely check that out for my upcoming visits.

Why don't we have a comprehensive list of these super bargains, transferable promo codes, etc? TheArtGirl??

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: pocket money

What a great birthday present, Nightcrawler28. At £300 each you should have a very nice time without constantly worrying about the funds.