We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Paul's Cathedral Still On LondonPass?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
St Paul's Cathedral Still On LondonPass?

Several websites note that St. Paul's is one of the attractions that is part of the London Pass. However, the official London Pass website - which I don't find terribly clear, anyways - doesn't seem to list it unless I am missing something. Can anyone who may have recently used a London Pass verify that St. Paul's is still included?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Paul's Cathedral Still On LondonPass?

The London Pass isn't well thought of in these parts. If you are more than 1 you are better off with the 2-for-1s.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Paul's Cathedral Still On LondonPass?

1. Why not?

2. What is a 2 for 1?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,904 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Paul's Cathedral Still On LondonPass?

"1. Why not?"

Because you pay a large sum of money up front, and then people struggle to visit enough attractions to cover the cost of the pass.

"2. What is a 2 for 1?"

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195600/Londo…

Here's a comparison of LP and 2 for 1 - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k44961…

Edited: 18 February 2014, 21:38
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Paul's Cathedral Still On LondonPass?

I just received an email last wThursday that advised me that the pass I purchased (and received) for my trip in May will no longer cover St. Paul's Cathedral. It also mentioned that the Olympic Tower (whatever it is called) is now covered.

I'm pretty bummed about this - it'll cost $27 USD per person to see St. Paul's Cathedral now. Haven't decided what to do yet - will have to investigate and see where St. Paul's ranks. I'm sure I'll end up going - I can't go all the way to London and not see it just because of the change of the admission. Sigh...

And I purchased the pass because it was, for us, a good deal since we'll be in London 7 days. I know the shorter passes aren't a great deal, but for us, the 7 day pass is easier than dealing with 2 for 1 coupons. I have 7 days, and I'd just as soon go to the entrance rather than waiting in lines for tickets with the 2 for 1 system. Your mileage may vary, of course, but it is a valid perspective.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 00:36
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Paul's Cathedral Still On LondonPass?

St. Paul's Cathedral is a place of worship so you will not be charged for religious services. For example you could go to evensong and therefore get to go to the cathedral and experience some great free music. However you will not be able just to wander around and visit the dome.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,104 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Paul's Cathedral Still On LondonPass?

I have 7 days, and I'd just as soon go to the entrance rather than waiting in lines for tickets with the 2 for 1 system. Your mileage may vary, of course, but it is a valid perspective.

==================================

There are no long lines. This isn't Disney. You may encounter lines at Madame Toussauds and/or London Dungeons, but these attractions are not well thought of on this sight.

The jump the queue is only available at 7 attractions.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Paul's Cathedral Still On LondonPass?

The jump the queue is only available at 7 attractions.

--------

Indeed, and only a couple of which are liable to have queues anyway. Though for 6 days (not 7, it's a 6 day pass) it will I think have a better chance of working out financially. ... Hmmmm ....

Hard to do the sums without knowing exactly where you were going but if an average entrance fee is £15 which I'd say is a high estimate, and you visited two paid attractions a day, then for two people that's 2 x 2 x 15 x 6

= £360 that entrance fees would cost without pass,

or £180 with 241

or £216 on LP.

Could be a little more on 241 since not everything is eligible but It would also be tough to visit two paid attractions a day for 6 days, since many places are either not on pass or are free, so every free attraction brings down the 241 cost but the LP stays where it is as you bought it upfront.

So, AFAICS the only advantage is you don't need to find a train station to buy your travel card, or be bothered with printing off vouchers at home (or filling out a booklet you got at the station)

Edited: 08 March 2014, 08:14
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Paul's Cathedral Still On LondonPass?

Look, I ran the numbers eight ways from Sunday, including using the 2 for 1 passes. The London pass is the best deal for us for our proposed itinerary for our time in London. We also bought our pass during a sale, so even with shipping the passes to us, we paid 82 GBP per person per pass, and that's a fair deal since we won't need to deal with the train station to handle the 2 for 1. Given our aggressive sightseeing schedule, it happens to be a good deal for us. I simply offered a different perspective and opinion based on the research I performed on my own for our needs. I never said London was Disneyland, nor did I mention I was going to sites like Madame's (I'm not going to those two sights anyway) but I do know the line-jumping will be an advantage at locations like Tower of London. As I clearly stated, "your mileage may vary". And indeed it will - no one stands in the shoes of another person's time limitations, finances or preferences.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 13:00
Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Paul's Cathedral Still On LondonPass?

The London Pass might be useful in certain circumstances as long as it does not cover most of your stay. London differs from many other major capitals in that most of the great museums and art galleries, plus many smaller ones, are free. Thus if people spend all their time trying to get value from their London Pass they could miss out on the free ones such as the British Museum, Science Museum, Imperial War Museum, Victoria and Albert, Tate Modern, Tate Britain, Natural History Museum, National Portrait Gallery, Geffrye Museum, Museum of London, etc, etc.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Paul's Cathedral Still On LondonPass?

St. Paul's Cathedral is a place of worship so you will not be charged for religious services. For example you could go to evensong and therefore get to go to the cathedral and experience some great free music. However you will not be able just to wander around and visit the dome.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We are considering attending Evensong, but like you mentioned, you can't wander about. I likely will just buy a ticket and go since it's a false economy to fly all the way over there and and not see it just because it was removed from the LP. I may not necessarily return to London - it's a big world and there are many places I'd like to see before I die/can't travel. But the debate among my travel cohort continues, while I'm just at the point of saying, "Well, I'm going in. See you in two hours."