We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small problem with packing?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Small problem with packing?

Hi guys,

I'm now 17 days out from my trip and all booked everywhere so now I can just concentrate on getting excited.

I'm having a small problem however. In Australia at the moment, we are nowhere close to getting warm clothes in our stores. My partner arrived in Winchester the other day and said that a lot of the warmer clothes are selling out in the stores really quickly and he doubts that there will be anything left by the time I arrive.

I've bought things to layer but I cannot get a hold of any type of boot yet that isn't $100 and something I would wear when I come home. I think I've missed the deadline for online purchases from overseas so that is also out. I do have some suede boots from last year, but they are slightly too small to fit a good thick pair of socks in with them- being from Perth I can get away with thin ankle socks during winter. I also have scarves and some crochet beanie-hat things.

I know you can't predict the weather, but if you could hazard a guess (and no blaming or pointing fingers if you're wrong) would you say that a couple of layers and a jacket (singlet, tee, sweater and jacket) would be sufficient? My partner said it was so cold his face felt like it was on fire. We will be going to Winchester, Bridlington, London and then Paris.

Thanks so much in advance :)

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small problem with packing?

For me, it would depend on the type of sweater and the type of jacket. My family gets chilled easily.

We are arriving March 5th and are wearing:

- long sleeve base shirt (the skinny warm ones)

- t-shirt

- sweater/hoodie/warm vest

- softshell jacket (blocks wind and provides warmth without weight).

- sneakers

For good measure we will have a beanie hat, scarves, and thin gloves. (will only use if it is cold or if we are out late at night). We will have small packable drawstring bags with us so that we can easily carry any layers we peel off during the day.

We have travelled in 0-15 C weather comfortably with this setup. That said, our softshells are good quality and warm. That makes all the difference to my family.

p.s. Wrapping a good, warm (not those thin fashion scarves) scarf around my face on a chilly day and making sure my ears are covered with a hat really really helps me. Everyone's different though.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 04:10
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small problem with packing?

Perfect! Thank you :)

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small problem with packing?

If you have sturdy trainers, in a size that would accommodate thick wool socks, plus spray them with waterproofing, you could be OK. Don't forget warm gloves.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small problem with packing?

I find silk long johns and silk thermal under shirts do the trick. They seem to adjust so that you are comfortable outside but not too hot indoors or on the tube (which can happen with wool or synthetic thermals).

Patra sells them by mail order (you could have them sent them to your first UK address) and so does LandsEnd.

They are very light so I throw a set of them into my bag even when I am going to places where I think I couldn't possibly need them (Zanzibar in August) and have found them useful.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 05:29
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small problem with packing?

<<< My partner said it was so cold his face felt like it was on fire. >>>

Crikey Ames was he on top of Ben Nevis at the time ?! It's been a very mild ( albeit extremely wet for much of the south ) winter here in the UK. Hopefully things won't be too bad by the time you arrive.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small problem with packing?

Is there an outdoors store near you? These do have seasonal ranges but should have base layers and waterproof jackets year-round.

Unless you are planning on doing significant amounts of walking/hiking in the countryside, waterproof trainers/normal shoes should be fine. Suede boots are a liability in wet weather.

I agree that the UK winter has been relatively mild so far. This week the forecast for London is highs of 9-12 C, which is unseasonably warm. It has rarely been below freezing at night. All of that could, of course, change by the end of the week.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Small problem with packing?

Ames2510,

have you thought about wool undies and clothes?

i got some marino wool sox to wear on my travels and they can keep my feet warm even when wet. I wear Keens and some otehr brand i cant think of and they are like a tennis shoe/hiker hybred. not fully enclosed either. i only suggest marino wool since its what i have used and tried. Its not to say thats the only wool sox out there.

Since youre from a warmer place, you will notice the cold alot more than me.

also, just something to throw out there, when i was working at my couz work clothing store, some of the guys wore panty hose under their coveralls when they were working on the alaskan pipeline and they swore by it! Since pantyhose dont take up alot of space, it may not hurt to bring one pair along.

in my opinion, if you can find a jacket/coat thats water proof, windproof, has a hood and moisture wicking would be better. also, whatever you get, wear it onboard the plane. It will save you luggage space.

england
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small problem with packing?

it's a mild winter for Brits but when you are used to 30C it will feel cold. Instead of thinking of something to wear when you get home you could just visit one of our cheap stores like Primark and donate it to a charity shop when you leave http://www.primark.com/whats-new I'm afraid 100 australian dollars wouldn't buy much in the way of footwear here.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Small problem with packing?

<<< in my opinion, if you can find a jacket/coat thats water proof, windproof, has a hood and moisture wicking would be better. also, whatever you get, wear it onboard the plane. It will save you luggage space. >>>

I think wearing all that on a long distance and long haul flight which will probably include at least one stop in a tropical or sub tropical city would be incredibly uncomfortable to be honest.

We are coming towards the end of winter here in the UK, and whilst there are no guarentees, it's VERY unlikely that we will experience any really cold weather as we head towards spring. A coldish snap is always possible, but nothing that requires dressing up like Nanook of the North !!

If the OP does find they are uncomfortably cold/wet whilst they are here, there are numerous outlets to buy cheap and practical clothing for the conditions, from market stalls to stores like Primark, Asda etc.

Ie: Thermal hats, thermal gloves from around £3-5, lightweight showerproof jackets ( with hood ) for about £7-8.. I really doubt they will all be sold out in 17 days time. Enjoy our temeperate climate Ames.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Small problem with packing?

Hi guys,

Wow so many kind responses! Thank you so much! I have a large, warm coat that is quite long and buttons up so I think with a thermal singlet, tee, sweater (I found one for $20AUD here this afternoon- score!) and then the jacket I should be fine.

I'm originally from the north-west of WA, so when I used to come to Perth for school camps in the winter I used to wear leggings under my jeans for extra warmth- I think I can find a couple of pairs around now in some stores that I have looked at and I would wear them again. I don't have gloves, but I should be able to find some somewhere.

I think I still need to find a rainjacket and some wellies, but I think that may be able to wait until I get there. If I get the wellies sized big enough I can put some thick socks underneath. Plus, you know, waterproof- which is always a good thing! :)

Thanks again! :)