We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Launceston...
Level Contributor
111 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

My mother, sister (10) and I are in London for a day and want to do an attraction or two. We really enjoyed the Dungeon at Warwick Castle, so we want to do the London Dungeon however we have been told it isn't worth the money. Should we do Madame Tussauds instead or do both? The other thing is that the scary element in Madame Tussauds is for those that are over 12 meaning my sister cannot participate but the London Dungeon has an age restriction of 8 upwards.

Please help! Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

I'm afraid you won't get many fans of either attraction on this forum. With so many things to do and see in London you picked two of the most over priced, over hyped touristy places. Is this because of the age of your sister? How about a walk across the Tower Bridge, up to the dome at St. Paul's, the Science or Natural History museum? River cruise? So many great choices .....

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

There is a little exhibition on torture in the Tower of London, I think, if that takes your fancy.

And the Yeoman tours can be quite gruesome, in a pantomime kind of way.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
111 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

Hi,

This is our second time in London on our trip so we have already done lots of sightseeing including the river cruise.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

I haven't been to Madame Tussauds, but my granddaughters loved both the London and Warwick dungeons. Yes they are cheesy, but our kids loved them...They also enjoy the Tower very much. The British museum has some interesting Egyptian exhibits as well.

Enfield
Level Contributor
173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

The Natural History and Science are well worth it. I'd wait until you get here to decide about the river, due to all the flooding. London Dungeons really isn't worth the money. Madame Tussauds is a lot of money but good, bearing in mind all the new figures they put in. The Tower is history overload.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,150 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

The scariest thing about Tussauds is the entrance fee.Even booking online it's gonna be £75.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

Neither?

Or maybe add in Ripleys to complete the tackiness-triumvirate.

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

No.

Just no.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

>>>>"The other thing is that the scary element in Madame Tussauds is for those that are over 12 meaning my sister cannot participate but the London Dungeon has an age restriction of 8 upwards."<<<<

I'd have thought it would be the reverse, strange.

I was under 12 (a million years ago), when I visited Mme T and there weren't any age restrictions for the chamber of horrors back then........it didn't give me nightmares, I just found it fascinating. Mind you some of the celebrity wax figures scared me, they were so badly done!

I guess if you can't take your sister into the chamber of horrors section at Mme T, you won't get your moneys worth.......then again........does your sister look older than ten, if you get my drift? ;-)

nantwich
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Dungeon or Madame Tussauds?

Can I just say, anticipating a whole load of disparaging comments aimed back at me, that I loved MT when I was 10 years old..?

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole nowadays, but back then, the 10-year old version of me would have been quite bored with some of the more 'respectable' London attractions...

If the young 'un wants to see MT, then go for it. It's your day out, after all! And if she gets the taste for London, perhaps move on to the better stuff on your next visit?

Just sayin'...