We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Edinburgh

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
623 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
London to Edinburgh

hi . we will travel from London to Edinburgh in May . I checked the easyjet flights between London and Edinburgh and found many flights leaving from Gatwick , Stanstend and Luton airports . which airport is the moist convenient , close to the city centre , and easy reached by local transportation .

appreciate your advice .

R.G.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
46,006 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Edinburgh

None of those airports are particularly close to the centre of London, but all are easily reached by public transport. Much will depend on your starting point in London.

Alternatively you could take the train to Edinburgh from King's Cross station in London. It may not be any longer than flying as you cut out the hanging around the airport bit, plus the travelling time to and from the respective airports.

Cheap tickets are usually available no more than 12 weeks ahead of the travel date from the operator's website http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

Edited: 20 February 2014, 18:28
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,909 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Edinburgh

None of them are convenient, if you are in central London, and none of them are close to the city centre. They are either on the outskirts of London, or tens of miles outside. You're better off catching a train from King's Cross, which none of the hassle of plane travel.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Edinburgh

how about the train? Station in the city center. Easily accessible by public transport.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Edinburgh

Take the train. End to end time is roughly the same once you take into account the travel time to an airport (by train anyway probably) then wait time at airport, flight time, and bus from the airport into the city.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
623 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Edinburgh

can you please tell me how long is the train journey between London and Edinburgh ?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Edinburgh

393 miles - 4.5 to 5 hours

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
46,006 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Edinburgh

Around 4 hours 20 mins if you catch the trains on the hour. Unless you are starting and finishing your journey at an airport, the times are very competitive with flying.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Edinburgh

About 4-5 hours. Which as mentioned isn't a great deal more than the end to end time of flying (and a lot easier luggage wise).

Check eastcoast.co.uk for timetables, fares and sign up for alerts/offers.

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
623 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Edinburgh

thanks guys , I checked it . the available tickets end up in May 16 , while our trip will be in May 26 . is it a maximum date of showing tickets availability or it means the rest of may is sold out . sorry if my questions sounds silly , but it's the first time to go to UK and I'm not aware of its rail matters .

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Edinburgh

Tickets are released around 12 weeks ahead of travel. As I said earlier if you sign up for alerts you should get an email when your dates are available. Or just keep checking the site.