We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help please with tube newbie to London

Pembs
Level Contributor
162 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
help please with tube newbie to London

Hi I have booked my daughter to see 1 d in June in Wembley. I want to stay 2 nights by London not in the centre. We love the crown plaza by heathrow and have found a good deal again.

How easy is it to get to Wembley on the tube from there. Also would it be easy to.drive from there to Wembley after the concert finishs. As my wife is a little worried about travelling on her own late at night.

Any help would be great.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help please with tube newbie to London

That's a long way, at least an hour and a quarter by tube. Not difficult, but boring. There are plenty of hotels near Wembley, I'd have a look at those first (The Premier Inn is pretty good, & reasonably priced. Wembly itself is a really good out of town base for central London too, only 15 mins from the city centre on the tube.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help please with tube newbie to London

Do not stay near Heathrow. Stay in the centre. It's far easier, and saves a costly, time consuming, often cramped commute into the centre. If you stay somewhere near Marylebone station, you can take a direct train to Wembly Stadium station, the closest to the Wembly Arena.

I can't stress enough how inconvenient any hotel near Heathrow is for London, and the centre likely won't cost any more.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help please with tube newbie to London

The Crowne Plaza near Heathrow airport is poorly situated not only for transport from and to the airport but also for other areas of London.

It is *not* easy to travel from the hotel to Wembley - there is no Underground station near the hotel in any event. From Hayes & Harlington station you could take a FGW train to Ealing Broadway, change there to the Central line to Shepherd's Bush and change there to the Overground, with another Overground change at Willesden Junction to Wembley Central.

Consider the Ibis Shepherd's Bush hotel, not far from the Overground (and Underground) stations at Shepherd's Bush. They have rooms for the nights of 6 and 7 June for £105; transport would be considerably easier from and to Shepherd's Bush Overground station - and quite safe - than the long schlep from the Crowne Plaza Heathrow.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 22:44
london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help please with tube newbie to London

Heathrow to wembley is a bit of a rubbish journey on public transport and to be honest not great by road especially when it is busy with post concert crowds and traffic. Also how will you get to and from the hotel to the tube line?

That said there is no need to be worried about travelling at night on the tube etc. it is perfectly safe, especially when there are 1000s of concert goers around

Is there a particular reason why you want to stay out of town and specifically at heathrow?

I would imagine the hotels in wembley will be very popular when this concert is on. It might be worth looking in the surrounding area. Hotels near the jubilee or metropolitan line would be well located to get to wembley on public transport.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,605 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help please with tube newbie to London

I agree that Heathrow is not a great place to stay if you are heading to Wembley. I would look for a good deal nearer the venue if I were you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help please with tube newbie to London

Just a quick note- traffic round Wembley after gigs and sports events is a nightmare! The police often set up one way systems and traffic jams etc are common place.

I have also waited over an hour to get out of the car park...all very jolly though...the Dunkirk spirit rises up amongst those stuck in the car park.

You do get out eventually...

The walk to the stations is also fun ; be ready to wait to get onto the platforms to get the packed trains....

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,807 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help please with tube newbie to London

We have stated at the Premier Inn Wembley and it was perfect.

Right outside the Tube station and a very short walk to the arena. You are also just 20 minutes from central London by tube.

8. Re: help please with tube newbie to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 05:19