We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

History of British Exploration

Seattle
Level Contributor
43 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
History of British Exploration

Can anyone recommend a good exhibition in London or environs of British mountaineering (Everest for example), polar exploration and the like?

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
437 reviews
from US$104.30*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$100.10*
London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: History of British Exploration

The National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, which in a sense is all in some way connected with this topic, definitely has a gallery which includes some exhibits about the Antarctic. I'm not sure exactly where it is, but I know that when I was last there I saw a replica of Shackleton's boat (the original is at Dulwich College). You should also find some items of interest at the Science Museum, e.g. the aviation and nautical galleries, which I think are the best parts of the museum (they haven't changed since I was first going to the museum over 30 years ago, and I suspect that they may not have changed for another 30 years before that). The Museum of London Docklands would also be of interest for exploration of other types, e.g. voyages to Africa, Asia, and the Americas.

Level Contributor
3,498 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: History of British Exploration

There's a museum in Cambridge about polar exploration: http://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/museum/

Cambridge is about an hour from London on the train from Kings Cross, and the city makes a great day trip.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: History of British Exploration

Investigate the Royal Geographical Society (in Kensington near the Royal Albert Hall). They have changing exhibitions and their members did a lot of exploring - and still do.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: History of British Exploration

Selborne (East Hampshire) - Gilbert White (naturalist) home with meticulous records of climate change going back some 350 years is interesting in its own right, but also has the Oates museum. Wikipedia entry says -

White's home, The Wakes, has been converted into a museum, known as Gilbert White's House. This museum also contains the Oates Museum and family archive. This comprises an exhibition relating to the life of Captain Lawrence Oates, who died on Robert Falcon Scott's ill-fated expedition to Antarctica in the early 20th century, and Frank Oates, his uncle. Frank Oates was an explorer and naturalist, who mounted expeditions in the late 19th century into Central America and Africa.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: History of British Exploration

As mentioned earlier, the Scott Polar Research Institute in Cambridge is worth a visit. It has Scott's original papers and diaries, as well as a host of other artefacts and exhibits. Plus the building has some very interesting features - eg the entrance ceiling!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: History of British Exploration

As you ill have athered there is no specific museum with a general overview of the subject, but around the country many that relate to individual aspects of it. One other is Down House, the home of Charles Darwin near Bromley, details on www.english-heritage.org.uk

7. Re: History of British Exploration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 05:20