We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US verizon phone in London?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
US verizon phone in London?

Hello,

I am hoping that someone out there has had some recent experience and give me some info....I am traveling to London for the first time in about 2 weeks. I recently got a iPhone 5s (wanted the samsung galaxy note 3, rep said it would NOT work abroad-??) from Verizon and was told 1-that the phone is unlocked and 2-I could use a SIM card from a local carrier in London to avoid massive data fees. The more I read on line and conflicting info I get from verizon, I am really worried my phone will not work with another SIM card. Has anyone used a local carriers SIM card in ANY verizon phone and what was the outcome?

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,574 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US verizon phone in London?

If your phone is sim unlocked then it should work with any SIM. Just try it using a friends SIM card from another carrier (not verizon an you will obviously need a micro sim). If that works then you are set.

Have no idea why they said a Samsung would not wok abroad.

2. Re: US verizon phone in London?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 10:35
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US verizon phone in London?

The Samsung Note - and other Sammies - is region locked so even if it's carrier-unlocked, Samsung has programmed it to only work with SIMs from the region in which it was bought.

Note that you probably won't get LTE service even if using an LTE SIM as we use different frequencies to the US.

Take RonaldoC's advice though - borrow a friend's AT&T or T-Mobile SIM and see if it connects.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: US verizon phone in London?

Once it's unlocked you should be fine.

Didn't kniw that about Samsung phones. Any way to get round that region unlocking?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US verizon phone in London?

Not that I'm aware of. I'm not 100% sure if it's legal in the EU though.

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: US verizon phone in London?

I used my Verizon iPhone 5s last November in London. The phone is unlocked when you buy it. I went to Carphone Warehouse and bought a Lebara SIM card for £15. It gave me local calls and text, international calls, and data. The phone uses a nano SIM card but they just cut a larger card down to size. There were two locations where I didn't have service that I thought I should have but other than that I had no problems. I didn't have LTE but the Verizon iPhone 5s does have some of the UK LTE frequencies if you want it. Be sure to save your current SIM card, you'll need to put it back in when you get home for Verzion LTE service.

When I was shopping for phones and searching the internet for information i found a LOT of people mad at Verizon because their global Samsung phones didn't work globally. I bought an iPhone.

NY
Level Contributor
510 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US verizon phone in London?

Your fallback could be to just by a cheap phone in the UK at any of the local phone stores, like carphone warehouse. They usually have a basic phone for under 10 gbp, and you can get a pre-paid sim with it. This way you dont have to disable your USA phone. There is always wifi if you want to have access to data. You can by a multi day wifi package from BT which has good coverage around London. All starbucks have wifi as well.

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: US verizon phone in London?

Thank you for all the info and helpful suggestions....it is VERY greatly appreciated.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
37,533 posts
953 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US verizon phone in London?

I have a Droid, and wife has iPhone 4S - both on Verizon US.

Both are "international equipped," and we just initiate the UK service, the night before we leave, then turn that OFF, upon arrival (her's is actually turned OFF automatically, but I need to call). Verizon has several plans, and we usually go with something in the middle - wife does do more data, than I do, but in a week, we have never gotten close to the max.), and it costs about US $25 each.

Just remember to turn the phone OFF, on the airplane, so you do not get roaming charges over Greenland, etc.

Verison has always made it easy for both of us, and that's 3x per year.

Travel safely,

Hunt

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,120 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: US verizon phone in London?

Do hope the yield is good.