We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loading an Oyster card during layover?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Loading an Oyster card during layover?

We will be at Heathrow for 4.5hrs on a layover and was hoping to load money on an Oyster card during the layover for use on the end portion of our trip. We fly into Terminal 5 and out of Terminal 4. Any help on where I go to accomplish this? We are right during the middle of the day (12pm-4:40pm).

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loading an Oyster card during layover?

You'd have to exit landside and spend hours going out through immigration to the tube station and travel to the departure terminal and then back through security, and even if you did since this is presumably to save 5 minutes when you return later it seems pointless.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loading an Oyster card during layover?

There are ticket machines in the T5 Arrivals hall where, if one has notes or coins, topping up would take a minute or two. It's not a straightforward trip on the Underground - free within the Heathrow stations with an Oyster card - to T4 as you would have to go to T1,3 and change there to a train to T4.

But the 482 and 490 buses go to T4, taking about 10 minutes for the journey. The 490 runs every nine to 12 minutes, 482 three times an hour: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…heathrow-t5.pdf tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…heathrow-t4.pdf

If you're willing to go through the Security check at T4 then you've got plenty of time to top up the cards.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,838 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loading an Oyster card during layover?

>>> We will be at Heathrow for 4.5hrs on a layover and was hoping to load money on an Oyster card during the layover for use on the end portion of our trip. <<<

I can see where you are coming from.

But, as pointed out above, you will have to pass through UK immigration and pass back through Airport security just to do this. And all for something that will only take a few moments to do when you actually need to use the cards.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 07:58
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Loading an Oyster card during layover?

Though if OP is on separate tickets they may well have to make the transfer landside anyway

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loading an Oyster card during layover?

They may have seperate tickets but it doesn't sound like that since otherwise it's fairly obvious that they'll transfer landside and once you transfer landside then obviously you can visit the station to top up.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,575 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loading an Oyster card during layover?

If you register the Oyster card with TFL, can't you top up online from anywhere in the world?

I haven't registered mine, so I don't know exactly how to, and I wouldn't bother anyway because, as others have said it's quick and easy to top up at the tube station (or a convenience store that serves as an Oyster ticket stop) when you arrive in London.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loading an Oyster card during layover?

Top Up online can be anywhere. You have to do it at least the day before and up to one week before. You need to know first station you will use as that will be the only one that knows your request.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Loading an Oyster card during layover?

Not really impressed with the online top up of Oyster. As already said you have like a one week time frame, and you actually have to use your card somehow to have the amount added. So you need to tell them what station you want to use for top up purposes and there check in or out to get the credit on the card.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loading an Oyster card during layover?

But if you don't pass through the designated station the money is credited back to you.

seattle
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loading an Oyster card during layover?

We are on separate tickets, so will need to go through immigration. Honestly, we are trying to waste the time staying awake and this seems like a good task to try to complete. I read there are ticket machines in the T5 arrivals. Are there ticket machines in T4 also as we'll need to end up there for our next flight.