We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for Hotels/neighborhoods along the central line

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
looking for Hotels/neighborhoods along the central line

Hi

I will be traveling to London for the first time with my husband to visit family who live in Ilford. We will probably make a few trips so in saving travel time would like to be close to Central line stops which goes directly to Ilford. Looking for a neighborhood with central location which will have access to many restaurants shops etc (if thats possible) which would be the best place to stay?

Any suggestions or additional information would be appreciated

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for Hotels/neighborhoods along the central line

The Central line (or any Underground line) does not go to Ilford.

National Rail- Greater Anglia, out of Liverpool Street does.

nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/…

California
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for Hotels/neighborhoods along the central line

We've stayed at a serviced apartment across the street from Liverpool Street station, it's in a really great location, close to restaurants, pubs and there is a Tesco supermarket. one block away. Plus there are many bus options right outside the door, plus tube and train. The property is called196 Bishopsgate. Highly recommend.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for Hotels/neighborhoods along the central line

@ Adam-Chance

I was told I could take the Central Line towards "Newbury Park Underground Station" those are the directions I received? Is this incorrect ?

@ MChiddy

I was looking at the 196 Bishopsgate wasn’t sure about the area around it do you remember what type of room you stayed in?

thx for your input

California
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for Hotels/neighborhoods along the central line

We've stayed there a few times. They are serviced apartments so you can get studios or 1 bedrooms (or the big penthouse apartment.), with the benefit of maid service. The last time we were there, the teenagers had their own studio, and we had a 1 bedroom down the hall. The studios were nice, the bedroom was relatively spacious with a queen bed and had a sliding screen door to separate it from the living room and kitchen area with the bathroom just around the corner. I've stayed in two different layouts of their 1 bedroom apartment. Both were spacious and all had nicely equipped kitchens. It was also nice to have a washer/dryer for the clothes (although it's all one unit and sometimes the dryer required two or three cycles, or I just hung the clothes around to finish drying, or on top of the dryer, but that's the norm for Europe/UK).

We thought that the studio would suit us perfectly for future visits when it would be just the two of us.

Edited: 25 February 2014, 04:01
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,436 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for Hotels/neighborhoods along the central line

Whilst the Central Line doesn't go to Ilford, it does stop at Newbury Park and Gants Hill which are part of Ilford.

The area around 196 Bishopsgate is a high proportion of financial institutions at the eastern edge of the City. It borders on the Spitalfields and Shoreditch areas for nightlife and Indian restaurants.

Perfectly safe and convenient for bus or Underground to the rest of central London

You've also got the advantge of having Liverpool Street main line train station across the road which does actually go to Ilford and is probably quicker than the Central Line to Newbury Park or Gants Hill

Edited: 25 February 2014, 05:37
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,178 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for Hotels/neighborhoods along the central line

<<You've also got the advantge of having Liverpool Street main line train station across the road which does actually go to Ilford and is probably quicker than the Central Line to Newbury Park or Gants Hill>>

Yes, the trains from Liverpool Street go to Ilford station, but if the OP wants to be at Newbury Park (which is apparently the case), she won't save any time by taking a train to Ilford and then a bus from there to Newbury Park. It's not walkable by any stretch of the imagination - well, you could, but it's not something you would do regularly.

I grew up in the area and know it well.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for Hotels/neighborhoods along the central line

Those Dagenham days, eh Shuffaluff? It seems like only yesterday at times, and sometimes a hundred years ago.

murphy, have you got a street or road name where your husband's family members live? National Rail trains from Liverpool Street may be faster than the Central line, but it really depends on their location with respect to the nearest station, whether Underground or National Rail.

A stay in Bishopsgate could be rather nice. The area is very very busy on weekdays, with all City life passing by, a mix of workers and visitors, all in a hurry. Weekends are a bit less frantic, but with Spitalfields Market and the Sunday UpMarket in Brick Lane it's a hive of activity every day. I like the area and would be happy to stay at 196 BIshopsgate or other hotels or flats nearby.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,178 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for Hotels/neighborhoods along the central line

Barking, actually, but let's not quibble...

I went to school near Newbury Park station.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for Hotels/neighborhoods along the central line

Hi thanks for all the great info

So Liverpool St area is nice neighborhood with restaurants for breakfast and dinner and shops.

Can anyone recommend any other hotels in the area besides Bishopgate hotel?

One other question if we decided to go to another area like Earls Ct how would you compare the 2 neighborhoods. Anyone suggestions on hotels there?

Any other recommendations on Neighborhoods please let me know

Thanks again for the input!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for Hotels/neighborhoods along the central line

Any other recommendations on Neighborhoods please let me know

=======

Its all down to budget. What range is yours in, in pounds please?