We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enfield commute from London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Enfield commute from London

Hello

We will be travelling to London in end April. I have a business engagement at Riverwalk Road, Enfield, EN3 7QN at 9:00 am for 4 days, thereafter we will like to stay in central London to enjoy some tourism.

I tried google maps and it seems it is a 45 min drive from central lhr to enfield (I will be using public transport though) Can you please tell me:

1. How long does it take realistically by metro and how early will I have to leave given rush hour?

2. Is it better to stay in Enfield (can not find any decent hotels [looking for 4 or 5 stars] and then move to London or set up base in London and commute for the 4 days?

TIA!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,084 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enfield commute from London

It looks like the closest station is Brimsdown. This is served by the half-hourly train from London Liverpool Street towards Hertford East. This service also connects at Tottenham Hale with the Underground Victoria Line from other parts of Central London.

There is an 08.12 departure from Liverpool Street that gets you to Brimsdown at 08.32; this calls at Tottenham Hale at 08.25.

Brimsdown is in London Travelcard Zone 5.

You can look up the route by public transport using the Transport for London Journey Planner - enter your start point and use the postcode EN3 7QN as your destination.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enfield commute from London

The closest railway station to that location in Enfield is Brimsdown (c half a mile's walk away), which is on the train line into London Liverpool Street station. It takes about 20-25 minutes on the train.

You will not find any top hotels in Enfield as it is a lower middle class/working class suburb rather than a tourist destination. There is a Hyatt (Andaz) adjacent to Liverpool Street station that it probably your best bet. When we lived up north and my OH had business meetings in Enfield, he would always stay in the Liverpool Street area, often at what is now 196 Bishopsgatge (serviced apartments rather than a hotel). This way he got a reverse commute and always got a seat on the train, even at rush hour.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enfield commute from London

Thank you rbgs! And what train will I be using for the commute to Enfield, I am assuming this is a rail service? I did check out the Hyatt at Liverpool, for 3 adults it is coming in at 470 GBP - that is a bit out of my budget (200-250 GBP)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,206 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enfield commute from London

Definitely stay in London. Accommodation in the area around Liverpool Street can be pricey during the week although if you are on business expenses then that may not matter. At weekends rates can come down and somewhere like The Andaz mentioned above becomes affordable for us mere mortals.

There are a couple of cheaper options including a Travelodge within walking distance of the station. If you could give us an idea of budget (in pounds please) then we may be able to come up with some suggestions.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enfield commute from London

<< I did check out the Hyatt at Liverpool, for 3 adults it is coming in at 470 GBP >>

That would make quite a long commute. Try the Hyatt at Liverpool Street it is a good 200 miles nearer to Enfield.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,206 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enfield commute from London

Just saw your reply. The train is indeed a rail service run by Greater Anglia. Departure boards at the station will direct you to the correct platform and Liverpool Street is the terminus.

Now are you needing three beds or is the third under 16 and it's one double and a single that you need? These questions are relevant as although your budget is reasonable, the fact there are three of you might restrict you a little as some of the nice hotels in the area are aimed at the business market and don't have the capacity for extra beds.

The 196 apartments could be worth looking at but I can't check rates at the moment and I know my colleague TravellerPlus likes the Marlin apartments in Aldgate. More basic but they might just suit.

http://www.196bishopsgate.com/

http://www.marlinapartments.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enfield commute from London

It is a rail service. Both the Hertford East and Cambridge services normally stop at Brimsdown, but do check the departure boards in Liverpool Street station to double check.

The problem you will have with finding somewhere for 3 adults is that most London hotel rooms have 1 double or 2 single beds. I did a check for a random weekday in late April and the Club Quarters in Gracechurch Street is coming up within your budget. It's an easy walk (or extremely short bus journey) to Liverpool Street station. You could also look at 196 Bishopsgate as they have 1 bedroom apartments that might be suitable.

8. Re: Enfield commute from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:19