We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currancy exchange

Arizona
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Currancy exchange

Three years ago I was in London and I used a Currency Exchange Kiosk in Covent Garden (at that point it was little more than a gentleman with a desk and a window) to exchange dollars for Pounds. He was the best rate I had seen anywhere and he did not charge an exchange fee. I am coming back to London with friends and wanted to see if he/they are still there. I cannot remember what his business was called but wanted to see if anyone knew who I was referring to and if they are still available. Any other advice as to where to exchange cash would be welcome information. I feel like the banks and the Currency Exchange in the airports give terrible rates and their fees are way too high.

Thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
28,204 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currancy exchange

Just use your card in an ATM.

That is the best way to get local currency, these days....

California
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currancy exchange

Yep, use your debit card at an ATM, no reason to spend extra time and money using an old fashioned currency exchange desk.

USA
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currancy exchange

Do you know what it would cost you to withdraw pounds using your debit card? www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk/index.php generally offers a markup of less than 2% when converting dollars to pounds. That is a better rate than some US debit cards offer for ATM withdrawals in Europe.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,922 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currancy exchange

Don't use exchanges at airports unless you buy in advance.

Don't use Bitcoins unless you like a bit of a gamble.......

5. Re: Currancy exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 05:27