We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viking Exhibit -British a Museum

Muskogee, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
91 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Viking Exhibit -British a Museum

Regarding a temporary exhibit- will it be possible

To walk in and buy tickets or should I buy on- line? I hesitate

To commit to a certain time as not sure of our itinerary while

In the city.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,264 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Viking Exhibit -British a Museum

So it does. No idea then since it might be sold out on the day. I presume you would have to turn up and take your chances (which is why these kinds of exhibitions often aren't included).

You could try asking the BM.

https:/…contact.aspx

Edited: 28 February 2014, 16:12
London
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Viking Exhibit -British a Museum

Alternatively, gather together your shield brothers, fill your horns with ale, swear an oath on the raven banner, and jump the queue.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,553 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Viking Exhibit -British a Museum

Alternatively, gather together your shield brothers, fill your horns with ale, swear an oath on the raven banner, and jump the queue.

=============================

Yeah, and get stabbed by arrival Viking :)

Was just reading the British Museum site and here's a few tidbits about visitor numbers in the past year:

"On the 255th anniversary of the British Museum opening to the public (15 January 1759) the British Museum announces details of the most successful year in its long history. In 2013 the Museum received 6,701,036 visits, beating the previous record of 6 million visits in 2008 and up 20% on 2012. The busiest day of the year was Friday 16 August with 33,848 visits and July was the busiest month on record with 747,936 visits. The British Museum’s website, britishmuseum.org, saw an increase in traffic of 47% on last year reaching 19.5 million visits. During the year the Museum staged hugely popular and critically acclaimed exhibitions including Ice Age Art: arrival of the modern mind; Life and death in Pompeii and Herculaneum and Shunga: sex and pleasure in Japanese art.

Life and death in Pompeii and Herculaneum, sponsored by Goldman Sachs, was seen by over 471,000 visitors and achieved its original visitor target of 250,000 in three months of a six month run. When it opened on 28 March 2013 the exhibition had reached over 45,600 pre-booked visits through advance ticket sales and school group bookings ahead of opening, making it the most successful pre-opening exhibition of an since The First Emperor: China’s Terracotta Army in 2007. The Pompeii exhibition is the third most popular in the Museum’s history after Tutankhamun in 1972 (1.6million) and the First Emperor (850k). Life and death in Pompeii and Herculaneum was the last exhibition to be shown in the Reading Room ahead of the opening of the Sainsbury Exhibitions Gallery with The BP exhibition: Vikings: life and legend on 6 March 2014. Shunga closed on Sunday 5 January 2014 with over 87,893 visitors in three months. Ice Age Art closed in early June 2013 with over 90,000 visitors, a 133% increase on the original target of 40,000."

britishmuseum.org/about_us/news_and_press/pr…

Mentioned in this post
British Museum
British Museum
60,960 Reviews
London, UK
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Reading
Reading
Berkshire, UK
R K
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
506 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Viking Exhibit -British a Museum

For those of you who get to this exhibit - how long did you spend there? Is it huge?

Our experience using 2-for-1 with special exhibits (though possibly not quite as popular as this one will be) is that you can get them same-day., though of course you'll have to queue up. So if you have your heart set on it, and at a specific time, you'll need to either join or book in advance. Notice that members don't even need to book a time, so there must be some wiggle room space-wise,

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,553 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Viking Exhibit -British a Museum

I went along this past Friday night and spent two hours, and even that was rushing through some. However, I had one of the large print books that contains all the text that is alongside the exhibits and I was taking the opportunity to read it all.

I didn't count the number of rooms - but it's not a small area.

I was actually surprised as it wasn't was busy as I thought it would be. In the first few rooms there was a bit of shuffling going on with people jockeying for position to view the objects (and it was a bit over warm). Once you reached the area where the longboat is, it's obviously a larger area, so more room to move around and not so stuffy.

Will it be busier on subsequent Friday evenings, I've got no idea, but probably. It was certainly much more enjoyable viewing it with fewer people than the last couple of exhibitions I've attended.

Having said that, I found the Pompeii exhibition was of more interest to me, but that's because I've done more reading on that era of history.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,525 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Viking Exhibit -British a Museum

I usually spend between 2.5 and 3 hours in these major BM exhibitions. That was when they were held in the Reading Room, I'd assume it'd be the same in this new exhibition space. TBH I wouldn't want to spend longer than that in there anyway, as by that time I'm suffering a bit from exhibition fatigue and need a rest.

>>Notice that members don't even need to book a time, so there must be some wiggle room space-wise,<<

They've told us that if the exhibition gets too busy on a day Members will have to collect timed tickets. But I've never had to do that yet, but then I go during the week in the middle of the day.

Mentioned in this post
Reading
Reading
Berkshire, UK
Denby, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Viking Exhibit -British a Museum

I have heard mixed reviews of this exhibition and wondered what other people really thought about it.

18. Re: Viking Exhibit -British a Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 04:19