We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace - anyone done it?

Peoria, Illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace - anyone done it?

I saw this posted online and was wondering if anyone has done it in the past, and if you think it's worth the 75 pounds they charge for it:

Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace

…royalcollection.org.uk/state-rooms-buckingh…

The State Rooms, Buckingham Palace

Friday, 28 March 2014 to

Sunday, 27 April 2014

After the doors have closed to the public for the day, enjoy the splendour of the State Rooms in the company of an expert guide, on an Exclusive Evening Tour of Buckingham Palace.

With the gilded ceilings and glittering chandeliers, the State Rooms provide a perfect setting for the many famous masterpieces from the Royal Collection. The tour ends with a glass of champagne served in the Bow Room.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace - anyone done it?

Here's a review from 28th February 2014 (but the poster went in July 2013) and it's quite detailed: tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g186338…

This review is from 2011: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace - anyone done it?

Overall, I do not think it's worth the money.

You go through the same rooms and do have a guide but you cannot linger as much as you can during the summer openings. I also think the audio guide issued during the summer opening is more comprehensive than having a live guide.

Of course it is nice to walk through without the crowds but I do not think it's worth the cost.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace - anyone done it?

Both I and MrsJoe have done it, separately, and thought it worth the money. I can't compare directly as I haven't done the daytime one, but a friend who did wasn't impressed with the crowds and difficulty seeing things due to that and he thought the daytime one wasn't worth the money because of that :-)

I would certainly have liked longer on the tour, can you really just take as long as you want on the cheaper one? If you can that would be a hard choice for me, I do hate crowds so the evening one would probably edged it for me but I would have liked longer. On the other hand, no screaming kids, no one in your way when trying to look at something, and the rooms in many cases almost empty (30 people is *nothing* in some of the huge rooms)

So, I suppose the consideration is that whether something is worth it is a wholly subjective thing but you need to think how you get on with crowds. If you aren't bothered, the extra money may not be worth it for you if you are then well worth it. Finally the evening tour takes place at some times of year that the daytime doesn't. In that case I'd say personally for me, sure its worth it, it's only the cost of best seats at a west end play for example.

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace - anyone done it?

Worth it or not , we are booked in for a Sunday evening tour in April. While in Rome last spring we found an evening self guided tour of the Vatican limited to 100 and could stay until 2300 after entering at 1900. We had the entire place and the Sistine Chapel almost to ourselves. A second group of 100 entered at 2100. After that experience we opt for small tour groups when famous sights are clogged during regular hours.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace - anyone done it?

This sounds awesome! Is there a chance it may be offered in June as well?

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace - anyone done it?

It doesn't appear to have been on offer last year at that time so I"d tend towards "no" but you'll have to keep an eye on their website.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace - anyone done it?

Yes joeintheuk with the cheaper audio tour you go at your own pace, so if something catches your eye you can stand and look all you want--of course, you run the risk of being "jostled" by others as they pass you by if it's very busy. I've done the daytime tour several times over the years and have never felt that it was very crowded--of course, I tend to book for one of the first two times offered for the day. If you go first thing, there is no one in front of you and the people you came in with; that makes it really enjoyable. Having said that, I have some friends who have been on the evening tour and said they felt very special being in the palace with so few other people around.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace - anyone done it?

The only time I felt the palace was too crowded was when they had the jewellery exhibition on in 2012 (?). So many people crowding around the items did make it uncomfortable. Last years exhibition was much better spaced out, with little crowding.

In addition to the audio guides, there are caretakers/security in each room who will answer your questions. While they may not be experts in every single detail, I would guess that many are studying art or history (or BP trains them) because they did know some interesting and obscure details when asked.

Another thing I liked about the day time tours is you get to see some of the gardens as you exit. Or, if you book far enough ahead, add one of the garden tours to your ticket.

In any case, as has already been said, the visitor options available will depend on what time of year you visit.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,074 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace - anyone done it?

I agree as far as the crowding on the daytime tour. The only part I felt was unpleasantly crowded was the special exhibit. Apparently it wasn't that impressive as I can't recall what it was now. Maybe photos of the Queen over the years and some of her dresses?

10. Re: Exclusive Evening Tour, Buckingham Palace - anyone done it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 06:16