We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

edgewood, wa
14 posts
Save Topic
Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

My flight will be arriving about 11 pm and the tubes close at 11:45. No worries since I cannot check in at my hotel until 8. I am curious to know 2 things. Can I stay at the airport or will they force me thru customs and out of the facility? The second thing is about oyster cards. I was going to purchase one upon arrival but I cannot seem to find anything about the ticket booth hours. Will there be someone there at 5am when the tubes start running again so that I may buy a card?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

There is a bus in to central London that runs throughout the night. You can spend the night at the airport if you want to but it is not very comfortable.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

Book your hotel for the extra night, as you can't stay in the airport, and airport hotels are more hassle than they're worth. You'll need to either take a coach to Victoria or the HEX to Paddington, then a taxi to your hotel, or a car service the entire way from Heathrow. I'd recommend the latter, take a look at the links below.

www.amitours.com

www.myairporttransfer.co.uk

www.exclusiveairport.com

You can buy an oyster card from many local shops near your hotel, during their opening hours, check the link below. Some may even be 24hr.

ticketstoplocator.tfl.gov.uk/LocationLocator/

Edited: 02 March 2014, 17:26
London, United...
Level Contributor
10,384 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

You won't be allowed to stay airside for the night, you will have to clear immigration, baggage claim and customs.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

>>>>"Can I stay at the airport or will they force me thru customs and out of the facility?"<<<<

Not customs, passport control / immigration. Yes you have to leave airside.

There are hotels in and around the airport, depending on which terminal you arrive at. It would be very tiring for you to stay up all night waiting for the first Tube.

If you caught the night bus into London you still might not be able to check in to your hotel. You might as well lay your head down in a hotel nearest your terminal and start fresh in the morning.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

>>>>"No worries since I cannot check in at my hotel until 8."<<<<

Sorry, do you mean 8pm the same night you arrive or 8am the next morning?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

I have yet to hear of a hotel that has an 8 am or pm check in. Normally check-in is around 10 in the morning.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

6. Re: Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

today, 17:38

I have yet to hear of a hotel that has an 8 am or pm check in. Normally check-in is around 10 in the morning.

------

Is it? Most of the hotels I use have a 3pm checkin. Sometimes you can checkin earlier but 10am would be unusual IME. 8am or pm I've certainly never heard of though, Maybe the OP means they can drop their luggage at an apartment they are renting from 8am?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,520 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

The Yotel in Terminal 4 at Heathrow is actually in the terminal so no hassle getting to it. My daughter stayed there one night when she missed her flight. I thought the single "pods", which had en suite showers/loos, looked very comfortable. There is television, free wifi and hot drinks are available.

If you come into a different terminal it is easy to take the free shuttle to terminal 4.

You could then take the tube into London in the morning.

www.yotel.com/Hotels/London-Heathrow…

I think after a long flight, late arrival and possibly a queue at immigration, I would be tempted just to stay at the airport until morning and the Yotel would probably be cheaper than an extra night at your London hotel.

edgewood, wa
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

lol.. In trying to be simple I caused confusion. My wife and I are arriving at 11pm and I imagine by the time we got our luggage and made it thru customs it will be past midnight and the tubes will be closed. If this is the case, I need to figure out what to do.

My thinking is that I can buy an oyster card for zones 1-6 for a week. (We will be there that long and will travel quite a bit) We are actually renting a flat and the mgr has agreed to allow us access at 8am the following day. I just need to figure out what to do between arrival and 8am. especially if the tube is closed. I know we can take a bus, but we will still have to determine if we can purchase our cards, and also where to head to for the night. We could probably find another hotel for a single night or perhaps crash at paddinton... it just seems like a waste for the 7-8 hours until we can check in. Besides, we are from Seattle, 8-9 hours behind London. Midnight in London will only be 4pm our time so we could probably endure a night of sitting and reading, etc.

But, if we must leave the airport then we will, and that is good information to know. Now I just need to know if we can purchase our 7 day oyster cards from the airport at 12am.

I suppose worse case scenario, we pay for and take a bus somewhere, then purchase 7 day oyster cards when the booths reopen.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving at heathro very late. Ideas?

This is the N9 night bus timetable and route. Very cheap and surprisingly quick.

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/N009.htm