We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostel for Single Female College Student

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Hostel for Single Female College Student

Hello all,

One of my students is planning on traveling to London after a study abroad program and will be alone. She is looking for advice for hostels that are in a good area and would be "Safe" for a single, female (yes, she is aware of all the safety things she needs to do as a young, single female).

I've never done the hostel thing, so I thought I would check with the experts to see if they had any suggestions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostel for Single Female College Student

Depending on the traveller's budget, she need not resrict herself to a hostel. If she is determined to stay at one, the YHA Central hostel in Bolsover Street is very well situated; the YHA St Pancras hostel is recently refurbished and may appeal as well. The YHA St Paul's hostel in Carter Lane is in a superb location in the City and near the cathedral, well worth a look.

But if she could book a room at a Travelodge for £40 - 50 per night, might that not be better than spending £30 on a bed in a shared room with the washroom down the hall? Let us know your student's dates for her stay in London and her budget and perhaps we can sort out something with more privacy.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
145 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostel for Single Female College Student

If she is travelling solo she may enjoy the company of other young people in a hostel. Despite being the opposite demographic (middle-aged male) I stayed in Palmers Lodge Swiss Cottage a couple of years ago and rated it reasonably highly. They have female only dormitories, and "privacy" curtains on the bunks with individual reading lights. Showers & Toilets were clean and well maintained. On the stairway stands a suit of armour named "Bruce".

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostel for Single Female College Student

Hello,

Thank you! She will be traveling mid-June (18-22). I don't think she has really thought of a budget, but I'm imagining something around or under 50 pounds. Being right near touristy areas would be key, so that she doesn't have to worry about the tube at night or walking long distances in the evening.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostel for Single Female College Student

Surely "she" is old enough to have her own TA membership, and do her own research??

Nice though it is that you are helping her.....

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostel for Single Female College Student

I'm sure she is, but I offered to help kick start the research. We've been emailing and she was concerned about safety, etc. she's never traveled abroad and didn't really know where to start. So I'll give her some options and let her pick :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hostel for Single Female College Student

Although a bit early for most University rentals, the University of London has some options available: http://www.halls.london.ac.uk/visitor/ as does the University of Westminster westminster.ac.uk/business/facilities-and-se…

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hostel for Single Female College Student

Thank you Tex!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hostel for Single Female College Student

Of those available, this would be my pick - Univ of London: Connaught Hall Single Ensuite Room B&B at £50/night. {Location, price, en suite and breakfast. Plus it has a bar, so a chance for her to meet some folks}.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hostel for Single Female College Student

Thanks tex....I will let her know. Being in a university setting would feel familiar for her too.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hostel for Single Female College Student

Some photos of Connaught Hall here: flickr.com/photos/…

And a video about the bar (you just gotta love college students, or maybe not): www.youtube.com/watch…