We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport in London

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Transport in London

Hello all, I understand the difference between the pay as you go Oyster Card and the "Paper" Travel card. But I'm a little confused about the variation offered for purchase. For instance,

a. what's the difference between a local Oyster Card and a Visitor Oyster Card?

b. What's the difference between a paper travel card and one that is loaded on an Oyster Card?

c. as a solo traveler, does it matter in what form I get the travel card/Oyster Card? Any advantages?

d. Any advantages of buying the TravelCard/Oyster Card ahead of time?

Thank you,

Mike

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,138 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport in London

a) "Local" Oystercard has a refundable deposit, visitor OC has a fixed charge, Local OC can hold PAYG AND Travelcard, Visitor OC only holds PAYG

b) Paper Travelcards BOUGHT AT A NATIONAL RAIL STATION can be used for the 2-4-1 offers, any other can't

c) 2-4-1 isn't relevant, therefore get an Oystercard and load either cash for PAYG and, if staying for more than 4 days, a zone 1-2 7 day Travelcard

d) None

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport in London

c) As per Alanrow's post but I'd add that Oyster is more durable (in case you're not careful with paper tickets) and if you go outside of your travelcard zones then it automatically deducts the right amount from your PAYG balance rather than having to arrange the right kind of ticket etc if you go outside the zones of a paper ticket (unlikely but it does happen)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport in London

Thank you for your clear explanation. I will be buying a local Oyster Card, and adding the Travel Card to it, easy. Since I'm traveling solo, I won't bother with the paper one. I will buy it ahead of time so I don't have to deal with it upon arrival in LHR, it will be straight from the plane to the train., and one more expense out of the way.

Thanks again.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport in London

You can't buy a "local" oyster card ahead of time unless shipping to a UK address I believe. You can buy one on arrival at LHR, it won't take seconds. If you're planning to get a week long travelcard on your oyster card it must be a "local" oyster card *not* a visitor one

Edited: 05 March 2014, 18:47
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport in London

Thanks Infidellic, I just found out that I can't buy it ahead of time when I went to the Tfl website and tried to buy it. Ah well! I guess will have to do it at LHR!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport in London

If you plan to fly with BA from PHX to LHR you will find a ticket desk in the Arrivals hall that sells Underground tickets as well as tickets for the HEX. If there is a queue at that desk then follow the signs for the Underground station - take the lift down from Arrivals and you will find another small ticket office that rarely has a queue. Buying a Travelcard loaded on Oyster shouldn't take more than two minutes.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport in London

Awesome tip TravellerPlus. Yes i will be arriving on BA from PHX, so,this will help me a lot. After a 9 to 10 hour flight, i just wanted to go straight to the train, but this would work. It would give me a chance to check out T5 since i'm also an avation enthusiast.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport in London

Oh by the way TravellerPlus, i'm staying on Finchley road in Swiss Cottage, is the HEX worth it?

9. Re: Transport in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:29