We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget car hire location at Heathrow

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Budget car hire location at Heathrow

I've emailed UK Budget but haven't received a response so hoping someone here can please help. I'm looking to book a car to hire from Budget and return to Heathrow but wondering where at Heathrow we drop the car off in relation to Terminal 3. searching online tells me they are on Northrop Road. If this is the case can anyone tell me how we then get to the terminal (3). I'm thinking a Hoppa bus from a nearby hotel but with the two of us not being particularly young and with heavy suitcases in tow this might be a bit much to do on foot.

TIA

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$125.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$104.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,067 reviews
from US$147.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$99.80*
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,256 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget car hire location at Heathrow

Google is your friend. The Budget lot is indeed located on Northrop Road, opposite Avis.

http://goo.gl/2KPsRf

And seeing as Budget has desks in the terminals at Heathrow, I'd fully expect them to run their own free shuttles to the terminals - heathrowairport.com/transport-and-directions…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,364 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget car hire location at Heathrow

Budget is a subsidiary of Avis "Because they try harder" :)

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget car hire location at Heathrow

Beware of these guys!

We pre-booked a car using Atlaschoice (Budget) at Heathrow airport for my wife and I for a 17 day trip to the UK recently. The cost was roughly a little over 10 GBP per day so we were reasonably happy with our deal.

When we arrived after nearly 2 days travel and went to the car hire place at Heathrow. The seemingly friendly lady at the counter looked at us, sucked some air between her teeth, and suggested that we should upgrade. We asked "How much would that be?". To which she replied with a smile, "I'll have a look". Little did realize that we had fallen into her trap. We were now like a mesmerized lamb waiting for the wolf to attack.

"Oh, your in luck!" she says, "We have a BMW available that I can give you for around 11 GBP extra a day".

My wife replied that that sounded good so we signed up, not really paying too much attention to the details (and frankly not capable of doing any form of mental arithmetic after 48 hours of sleep deprivation).

You can imagine our surprise when we rocked up 17 days later with the car at the return and the seedy looking bloke there gives us a bill for over 520 GBP!!!

By this stage I was capable of performing some mental arithmetic and calculated that 17 x 11 was 187 GBP extra. Add in another 40 GBP (guesstimate of what it would be) for some diesel and round that off to 230 GBP.......

So we were ripped off nearly 300 GPB!!!

My tip - use the trains and taxis and avoid these rip off merchants

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget car hire location at Heathrow

As explained above, Budget is part of Avis, which is a reputable company. Have you made a formal complaint, and if so what was the outcome? I have to say that what is missing from your explanation is any details of what the paperwork you signed said you would have to pay. Hyperbole about being mesmerised when a salesperson tries to upsell you is just that, frankly.

Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget car hire location at Heathrow

I have a similar complaint to that of Greg W, above.

I booked a car online with Budget, then on arrival was offered a free upgrade.

I noticed extra charges on the receipt, but 'Jon' explained them away as location/tax-related charges. The charges on the receipt were almost identical to the fee I was quoted online, so in my exhausted state I took Jon at his word. Why would I not believe what I was being told by a Budget staff member?

It turned out that Jon had not been entirely truthful. Two days later I called Budget and exchanged the car, and at the new rental station I was told the extra charges had been cancelled.

The car was returned just over a week ago, and after several emails to Budget all I have been told is .....

"You may like to know that I forwarded your email to our Head Office, where there is a team responsible for recording customers’ feedback. I also have forwarded this matter to the rental station concerned and can assure you that a review will be carried out to ensure that all staff will demonstrate an improved customer focus in the future."

I am still waiting for a satisfactory response from Head Office.

Please be vigilant when hiring from car hire companies, and if you come across Jon at the Budget desk in the short-stay car park at Terminal 5 - approx 6 ft 8 inches, and claiming to have played basketball for London and been offered a trial by Dallas Cowboys - remember that he cares more for his commission than he does for either his companies' reputation or for his customer's well-being.

6. Re: Budget car hire location at Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2016, 05:16