We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best LHR to Marriott Transportation Option?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
359 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Best LHR to Marriott Transportation Option?

Advised by frequent London traveler that HEX>Paddington>taxi is his favorite option, but got some nays on that from TALFers on another post regarding itinerary. I ran a search, but most posts are pretty specific to the traveler's circumstances, so decided to post my own details for some advice:

Arrive LHR on a Saturday 12:30pm Terminal 4 (so far--could change to T3 by autumn)

Hotel: Marriott Grosvenor Square (confirmed)

Us: 2 Adults, 1 carry-on size rollerbag each, 1 backpack each

Considerations, in order:

1-Not schlepping a lot of stairs or transfers with luggage

2-Convenience/comfort of conveyance (place for luggage that doesn't annoy fellow commuters, not standing room only, limited number of transfers)

3-Expense (prefer to keep it under $80 US for party of 2 if possible)

4-Length of journey

I saw posts calling HEX the only "Civilized" way to get from airport, also "insanely ridiculous", and that Paddington "far from city center", but on map, doesn't look far from my hotel (but maps can be so tricksy that way, can't they?).

Opinions welcome :-)

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,752 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best LHR to Marriott Transportation Option?

The easiest way (as mentioned several times) is to book a car service. Door to door, about the same end to end time and if anything cheaper than HEX plus cab. Should be around £40 for 2. compared with £50-55 for HEX plus cab. Try exclusive airport, blackberry cars or just airports for quotes.

You could also get the tube to Green Park - no changes, step free both ends and either walk (about 15 mins)or hop in a black cab from there which would be around £15-18 for 2. The HEX really is only for fools or people needing to stay in Paddington (roughly the same thing!).

Edited: 06 March 2014, 17:05
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,752 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best LHR to Marriott Transportation Option?

Exclusive quotes £38 (prepaid) to £43 for that journey, Blackberry is £30.

(And HEX is only 'civilised' if it's being claimed on expenses, I suspect).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
359 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best LHR to Marriott Transportation Option?

Parklandwalk, is the HEX so awful because of price only, or is it just a horrible service? You've convinced me that door-to-door is best for us, but I'm curious. And how on earth is it staying in business? Hopefully not a commentary on the number of fools arriving daily at LHR! ;-)

London
Level Contributor
9,177 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best LHR to Marriott Transportation Option?

HEx doesn't serve T4. You need to take a connecting train from T4 to T3 before you catch the HEx. The supposed time advantage and convenience are wiped out with that change-trains faff, and that's before you discuss the unpleasant detail of the ticket cost.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,489 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best LHR to Marriott Transportation Option?

Price - plus it puts you in the wrong part of London for most of the things you are likely to want to see.

In some cases it can be slower than the Tube all the way from Heathrow

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,752 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best LHR to Marriott Transportation Option?

HEX isn't awful - the trains are fine but it's the cost - around £20 per person. Once there's more than one of you it becomes uneconomical especially if you have to get somewhere else. So it loses on cost, comfort (compared with a car service) and convenience (ditto). Triple whammy. And the tube is much cheaper and sometimes a lot easier depending on destination.

I don't know how it stays in business either other than that there are some people who are frankly dim, see '15 minutes' and fail to understand the rest of the trip requirements, have more money than sense, don't check other options, or are claiming on expenses. (There always seem to be predominantly business types when I've used it but I don't bother now because of the cost and inconvenience).

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best LHR to Marriott Transportation Option?

Velvalee.... we stayed at the Marriott Grosvenor Square this past November (loved it, by the way.) We each had a check-through with a small carry on. Schlepping through tubes/steps, or any combination thereof wasn't an option for us on this trip, so we used expressways.com for our door to door service... roundtrip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
359 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best LHR to Marriott Transportation Option?

Ok, I'm totally convinced. I will research the car services. Thank you all for the wonderful feedback.

And imwmn913, did you write a review on the hotel? Would love to hear your impressions!

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best LHR to Marriott Transportation Option?

Velvalee...

Yes, I did do a review. You could find it in the reviews of the hotel on TA, or I think (I really am not sure) by going to my profile, then, contributions, then London....etc. If that doesn't work (and I am sure others will surely tell you a better way!), I will also send you the review I cut and pasted via a Private Message on TA.

If you are able to have access to the concierge lounge for breakfast and light snacks, beer/wine, - it's a nice bonus!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
359 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best LHR to Marriott Transportation Option?

imwmn913, got your message and replied--thank you, thank you, thank you! Great review and all I could need to know!