We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple question about 2nd London visit

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
701 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Couple question about 2nd London visit

I'll be returning to London with my wife and son, who is now 16, after visiting a few years ago. My main request is for some suggestions of what we should see that we may have missed on the first trip. Also, we'll be there over Easter weekend. Is there a good place to go for an Easter Sunday service? St. Paul's maybe? Don't know if that's easily doable or if there will be SRO crowds.

As for other activities, we tend to be play-it-by-ear people, rather than having a detailed agenda, but here's a sample of what we squeezed into our first visit in 2009:

- British Museum

- Tour of Westminster Abbey

- Saw Buckingham Palace (not inside tour & missed changing of the guards, but toured Queen's Gallery)

- Harrod's

- Premier League match @ Craven Cottage

- Tour of Tower of London

- Lots of walking around taking in different parts of the city (and lots of rides on the tube)

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple question about 2nd London visit

Thames flood barrier, Tower Bridge, Hampton Court Palace, The Old Operating Theatre, The Physic Garden, St Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Cathedral, The Monument, The London Eye, Greenwich, Kew Gardens, Churchill's War Rooms, Horseguards Parade, Nelson's Column, Trafalgar Square, Lincoln's Inn Fields, the Royal Courts of Justice, the church of St Clement Danes (where the bells really do say "orange and lemons"), Denis Severs's House, the Regent Canal (Little Venice is very pretty), the London Zoo (where Harry Potter set the boa constrictor onto his cousin Dudley), platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross (if your son is keen on Harry Potter).

Actually if your son is keen on Harry Potter there's a whole bunch of stuff to see and do around that theme. Similarly if he is keen on Doctor Who I think I've seen something about a an exhibition or interactive something...

These are the things I can think of just off the top of my head that I've either see or want to see, you may have already "been there, done that".

Maybe check out: http://www.secret-london.co.uk/Welcome.html, http://hidden-london.com/, theguardian.com/travel/… timeout.com/london/…hidden-london-1as well

How long is your visit? Do you want to make any trips out of London? Windsor Castle and the town of Eton are close, then there is Canterbury with the cathedral and the wonderful city walls, Bath with the Roman Baths and the Royal Crescent and the Abbey, Oxford with the university and close proximity to Blenheim Palace, Cambridge with the university and punting on the river Cam and the wonderful King's College and the Trinity College Great Gate with Henry VIII without his sceptre (it's a chair leg, the whereabouts of the sceptre are unknown).

If you want to go further afield there is Bristol with the wonderful Clifton Suspension Bridge, or the Peak District with the National Park and the Ladybower Reservoir (where The Dambusters practiced their bouncing bomb) and the nearby Chatsworth House, also nearby is the town of Bakewell - you can get a Bakewell Pudding (or tart) - then there is the Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales and Yorkshire Moors and the town of York with the wonderful Minster.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple question about 2nd London visit

We went to a Palm Sunday service at St. Paul's one year and it was a great service. There was a choir and donkey-led procession to the cathedral. The church was filled, but they managed to have the service and commune everyone there in an hour. I think they are used to large crowds. :)

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple question about 2nd London visit

Thanks, AussieGirl. We are arriving on Friday and will be leaving either the following Tue or Wed. The flight back is out of Paris, and we haven't decided yet which day to make the transfer from London to Paris. So, we'll either have three or four full days, plus Friday evening and the morning of departure day.

We may decide to do a day trip to WIndsor or one of the other spots. We have the photo shot of the son pushing the cart at Platform 9 3/4 from the last visit. :-) We also saw of few of the other things you mentioned, but didn't really "do" them.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple question about 2nd London visit

Anyone else want to pitch their favorite activities that we missed on our first trip?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,978 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple question about 2nd London visit

<<We may decide to do a day trip to WIndsor>.

The Castle is closed on both Good Friday (18 April) and Easter Sunday (20 April) which limits your options somewhat:

royalcollection.org.uk/visit/…plan-your-visit

Hampton Court Palace is also a day trip & does seem to be open (in fact the State Apartments re-open on 18 April) - you can attend services in the Chapel Royal there:

http://www.hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/

hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/planyourvisit/…

London, England
Level Contributor
71 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple question about 2nd London visit

I would recommend going to http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/london-wall/

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple question about 2nd London visit

Easter Sunday 10:30am mass at Westminster cathedral (the catholic one on Victoria Street, NOT Westminster Abbey where William and Kate got married) will be celebrated by the Cardinal and basically be a free classical concert. The choir is a very fine choir and one of the only male choirs in the world that sings a daily mass.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,965 posts
1,452 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple question about 2nd London visit

We're doing the Farm Street, Church of the Immaculate Conception, Mayfair, for Easter Sunday - an interesting little church, and off the "beaten track." …wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Farm_Street

Enjoy,

Hunt

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple question about 2nd London visit

If the weather is good, you can jump on a river bus from the Embankment near South Bank or Westminster and travel down to North Greenwich. There are a lot of sights en route. From here, you can jump on the Emirates Air Line cable car over the Thames. You can return to central London on the DLR.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couple question about 2nd London visit

Thanks for the tips so far. I haven't booked hotel yet, but I'm leaning toward the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge. It seems like a good balance between economy, comfort and location. To get there from LHR, I'm thinking of sticking with the Tube and taking Picadilly to Hammersmith, then District to Westminster, where we'll either walk across the bridge to our hotel or take a cab, depending on how the weather is.

Sound about right? We'll each have a full suitcase, but we don't mind lugging them around a bit, so I think the walk from Westminster Station to the hotel will be fine. Our scheduled arrival at LHR is 12:20, and I figure it'll take close to 2 hours to collect our luggage, clear customs and make our way to Westminster - just about right for normal hotel check-in time.

An alternate hotel I've looked at for about the same cost is Doubletree Victoria.