We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Windsor, Londonpass and separate Travelcard

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Windsor, Londonpass and separate Travelcard

For our family trip to London we intend purchasing a 3 day Londonpass and a separate 7 day Zones 1-2 Travelcard (from Railways - to get some 2 for 1 options eg Londoneye). We want to travel to Windsor Castle on one of the days we use the Londonpass. I am a bit confused as to what the train cost will be. The Londonpass guidebook suggests travel there is free with the Londonpass but I suspect that is only the case if you purchase the Londonpass/travelcard combo - which is more considerably more expensive than buying the Railways zones 1-2 Travelcard.

If we just stick with our Londonpass and separate Railways zone 1-2 travelcard does anyone know how much extra the travel to Windsor will cost? We are a family of 2 adults and 3 children (one 10 year old and two others less than 15). Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Windsor, Londonpass and separate Travelcard

Why are you buying a London Pass? Search in here for comments on it. Almost certainly not worth it. Especially for a family.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Windsor, Londonpass and separate Travelcard

I have done the sums and it will be worth it for us

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Windsor, Londonpass and separate Travelcard

You've done the sums compared to 241? I'd be interested to see that.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,414 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Windsor, Londonpass and separate Travelcard

I'd also like to see how the Londonpass beats the 2 for 1 deals.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Windsor, Londonpass and separate Travelcard

65Paul, please share your itinerary with us.

There are some people who the London Pass work for, but they are few and far between. More often, visitors try to get their money's worth by trying to go to as many attractions as possible. This is often not possible, and London Pass does have a purse limit--if you hit it by the second day, your pass will cease to work, even if it is a three day pass. This is awfully hard to do, but not impossible.

The more likely outcome is that you have scheduled too many things to make the LP pay. Windsor, for example, will take up nearly half or more of your day. You will get back to London to perhaps do one other thing, as many attractions have early last entries.

AFAIK, the London Pass does not cover the travel to Windsor unless you pay for the overpriced and unnecessary Travel portion.

Here is how you can get to Windsor by train;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157699/Winds…

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Windsor, Londonpass and separate Travelcard

Ok here is the itinerary.

Day 1 Windsor, zoo (using 2 for 1 and family passes, 98 pounds)

Day 2 Globe, 1 hour bike tour, St Pauls, River cruise to Tower Bridge, then on to Greenwich (using 2 for 1 and family passes, 137 pounds)

Day 3 Tower London, Westminster Abbey, War rooms, Queens gallery, mews, Kensington palace(using 2 for 1 and family passes, 164 pounds)

Total 399 pounds

Total 3 day pass for 2 adults and 3 children 297 pounds

What am I missing? Not doable? Bear in mind our kids are ultra fit and motivated and a couple of days moving fast is not a problem.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Windsor, Londonpass and separate Travelcard

Day 3 Tower London, Westminster Abbey, War rooms, Queens gallery, mews, Kensington palace(using 2 for 1 and family passes, 164 pounds)

------

That's absolutely impossible. Even if you didn't have lunch. Day 2 is also very very iffy on time. Day 1 you'd get little time at the zoo as it closes at 530 you'd have maybe 3 hours there tops.

In any case, as Laura said, there is a limit, which is £270 on a three day pass. Which you would blow some time early on day three if your itinerary was possible. Which it isn't.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Windsor, Londonpass and separate Travelcard

Ok, if it is impossible and we don't get to visit Kensington Palace and the Mews on day 3 that still leaves the combined total for that day at 126 pounds. The total for the 3 days then is 361 pounds which is still greater than 297 pounds.

As for the zoo, we don't have a problem with 3 hours maximum.

As for the limit, the combined total for our selections wouldn't be blown at all, let alone early on day 3. The combined total is 187.55 pounds which is nowhere near the 270 pounds limit.

I have done the sums and on the face of it (and if my math is correct), it is worth it.

Any help with the answer to my question about trains will be gratefully received. I know how to get to Windsor. It is just the added cost I am interested in

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Windsor, Londonpass and separate Travelcard

Day 1 is barely possible, if you keep your eye on your watch and are happy to have a minimal time at the zoo.

Day 2 and 3 are not humanely possible. Check the opening times, and the recommended visiting times at each attraction.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Windsor, Londonpass and separate Travelcard

Ok, if it is impossible and we don't get to visit Kensington Palace and the Mews on day 3 that still leaves the combined total for that day at 126 pounds. The total for the 3 days then is 361 pounds which is still greater than 297 pounds.

=================================

Tower of London opens at 10 and takes about 3 hours, or more. (so, 1:00)

Lunch (2:30)

Westminster Abbey closes at 3:30, and takes about 2 hours. The last Verger tour (very worth while) is at 2:30.

Churchill War Rooms has a last entry time of 5, and closes at 6. Most people interested in visiting will want to spend more than an hour.

This assumes you have a space portal and do not need time to go from point a to point b.

You aren't the first, nor will you be the last to want to do more than is possible in a day. But we can help you figure out what is actually possible, and if that London Pass is worth it.