We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Pubs in London for 1st Time Tourist

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cresskill, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best Pubs in London for 1st Time Tourist

Hello, my husband and I will be in London Aug 8 - 11 this year. We will be staying at the DoubleTree by Hilton - Tower of London but plan on seeing everything possible. It is my 1st trip to London and his 3rd. We both love the pub culture and style and plan on having most meals and most pit-stops in Pubs as we sightsee. I know there are 1,000+ pubs out there but what would you suggest are the MUST-SEE pubs (in terms of decor, history, food, charm, and drinks) in the touristy areas (Mayfair, Soho, Tower of London area, Westminster, Covent Gardens etc)

I found a fun website many of you lkely know: http://www.pubs.com/. After reading about 10 of the articles on there it seems the makers of this site favorite these Pubs: Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese; George Inn; The Lamb and Flag; The Black Friar; Red Lion; Princess Louise; Argyll Arms; Dog & Duck; The Prospect of Whitby; Salisbury; Harp and Nags Head. What are your views?!?!?! I will look up all suggestions!! We will likely map out where all the best pubs are on our map so we can take breaks and see at least a dozen of them in our 4 days/ 3 nights.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Pubs in London for 1st Time Tourist

Whilst its not as old as it looks and has been resited slightly during the construction of St. Katharine's Marina, I'd take a look at The Dickens Inn since you'll be staying so close. It's beautiful on the balcony in summer. I've eaten in their pizzeria a number of times and enjoyed them all.

www.dickensinn.co.uk

London, England
Level Contributor
71 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Pubs in London for 1st Time Tourist

take a wander along the river towards Canary Wharf and stop at taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/… or http://www.thegrapes.co.uk/ both great old pubs, as you are coming in August hopefully there will be some sunny days! there is also http://www.gordonramsay.com/thenarrow/ closer to Canary Wharf but it's pretty modern but does have good outside seating!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,781 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Pubs in London for 1st Time Tourist

I know that some better pubs have been mentioned but I always end up at the Coal Hole on the corner of the Savoy Theatre on The Strand, which is a short walk from Covent Garden.

East Coast
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Pubs in London for 1st Time Tourist

Three well-known tried-and-true favourites, in three different neighbourhoods:

The Albert (Westminster)

www.pubs.com/main_site/pub_details.php…

The Museum Tavern (Bloomsbury)

The Holly Bush (Hampstead)

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Pubs in London for 1st Time Tourist

http://www.sirc.org/publik/pub.html

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Pubs in London for 1st Time Tourist

Pubs in touristy areas can be disappointing - basically whatever they do, they still get the custom.

No all of them of course, it's a good list - but my tip to you is to walk round the corner, up the quiet non-obvious street. This place tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-… for instance is alright, but just 100 yards away, there's a classic - if you can find it.

And remember - not all (any ?) of the pubs on your list will have been recommended for their food. To go to "The Harp" hoping for a nice lunch would be totally missing the point of the place.

Have fun !

Mike

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Pubs in London for 1st Time Tourist

There are several providers of organised pub crawls in London. Not only are you taken to a variety of pubs but your hear some of their history as well. There are a number of reviews of them on Trip Advisor.

8. Re: Best Pubs in London for 1st Time Tourist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 13:15
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Pubs in London for 1st Time Tourist

I'm often to be found in "The Parcel Yard" pub, just above the Harry Potter Gift Shop at Kings Cross, glass of Chimay in hand, recounting stories of my mis-spent youth to an audience of drunk businessmen and travellers waiting for the last train home, who will almost forget they ever encountered me the next morning, let alone anything I said.

But the food is excellent, the recently opened pub is based in the old historic railway offices, you can earwig over a multitude of regional accents and it's ideally situated for late night or early morning trains to Paris, Edinburgh, Lille, Brussels, Avignon and, er, Kettering.

London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Pubs in London for 1st Time Tourist

After you've been to the Dickens Inn mentioned above. Continue walking down Wapping High Street to "The Town of Ramsgate", 62 Wapping High Street E1W 2PN and / or "The Prospect of Whitby", 57 Wapping Wall E1W 3SH and / or "The Grapes", 76 Narrow Street E14 8BP. All three are historic pubs with a view over the Thames and are near to where you are staying.

If you are ever in west central London, i.e. north of Oxford Street then a must-visit is "The Windsor Castle" in 27 Crawford Place W1H 4LJ. It's terrific. You can't miss it because it has a sentry box outside.

Wherever you choose to go, can I suggest that you absolutely must have a "Sunday roast dinner" mid-day on Sunday wherever you are in London - you don't have to change any of your schedule because lots of pubs serve it, and it's probably the best meal of the week. Expect to pay between £8 and £15 for a roast beef, roast pork or roast lamb dinner, and it's a traditional weekly meal that Londoners go to the pub for.

Please can I also suggest that you go to at least one bar rather than a pub - one that I like is the Heights Bar on the 15th floor of the Saint Georges , 14 Langham Place W1B 2QS a few paces north of Oxford Street underground station. It has terrific views over London.