We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster card

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
2 posts
Save Topic
Oyster card

Hey guys!

I will be travelling to London/Heathrow two weeks later and I will be there for 5days/4nights.

I am kinda confused about the oyster card. Which is the best option for me? Should I buy the 7days travelcard or should I buy day anytime travelcard?

Or should I put money into it

Trying to figure out which one would be cheaper for me..

Thanks,

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,910 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster card

If you buy one day Travelcards good for use at any time you will pay £9 each day for a Travelcard for zones 1 and 2.

Buy a seven day card for zones 1 and 2 - which has no time of day constraints - and which if bought at Heathrow airport will be sold to you loaded on an Oyster card, and you will pay just £31.40. Add a bit of PAYG money to the Oyster card for travel from and to Heathrow and your transport purchase may be done in one transaction at the start of your holiday.

Let us know where you've booked to stay, as if it's not in zones 1 or 2 the cost of a seven day card will change. If you plan to travel with another person then please read the two traveller articles about paper Travelcards and the two for one offers (look under Top Questions About London) as they will require purchase in the city centre.

Istanbul, Turkey
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster card

Hey thank you for reply!

I will stay in ibis hotel near aldgate east tube station with my friend.

I will look to 2-4-1 offers, thank you for telling that.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,910 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster card

Have you booked to stay at the Ibis Budget Hotel in Whitechapel Road? If so then you may wish to consider taking the Underground to London Bridge station, buying paper Travelcards there for the two for one offers and then using them to continue on to the hotel. You may also take the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to King's Cross, alight there to buy paper Travelcards at the rail ticket office and then again use them to continue on to the hotel.

The hotel is about halfway between Aldgate East and Whitechapel stations. Both of those stations have stairs up from the train platform to ticket hall and street level; if you would like to avoid stairs you will have to take the bus for at least part of the journey. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/whit… Stop K is about 10 steps from the hotel's entrance; stop J is across the road. You may, if you wish, take the 205 from King's Cross to stop J (it's a little more complicated from London Bridge).

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster card

If you are "I" rather than "we" then 2-4-1 is of no use to you and you may as well just get an Oystercard, put a 7 day zone 1-2 Travelcard onto it plus £15 extra cash for travel outside zones 1-2

5. Re: Oyster card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:18