We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7:45am flight Heathrow to Chicago?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Topic
7:45am flight Heathrow to Chicago?

Is my wife going to kill me?? We've bought our tickets and me, thinking about how I'd like a day or two to get back in sync with US time, I booked our return flight leaving at 7:45am on a Saturday, from Heathrow. We'll arrive back in OKC at 2:55pm that day.

I was doing some research on how long it would take to get to Heathrow from where we'll be staying, and how much time for security clearning, etc. Starting at the Vauxhall Tube, it looks like it will be approximately 50 minutes to terminal 3. Then, from what I've read, you should give yourself three hours to get boarding passes, clear security/customs, etc?? So, if I work backwards, we need to be up at 2:30am (takes wife and kids an hour - me 15 minutes!); at the tube by 3:30am to be at terminal 3 by 4:30am??

We're flying American Airlines.

Is this accurate on the time it takes to get through everything? Is my wife going to kill me?? :)

Thanks in advance.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 7:45am flight Heathrow to Chicago?

Yep. Definitely great meal the night before - with or without the children.

Otherwise, arrange the car service to get you to the airport in plenty of time and treat everyone to a fantastic breakfast. If its available and your wife is willing to sup champagne at that time of the morning, then go for that. Smoked salmon or oysters - if she likes that kind of thing.

Promise you'll take care of the children for the entire flight so she can sleep.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 7:45am flight Heathrow to Chicago?

I know this is totally after the fact, but returning to the US you want to arrive later rather then earlier so you can go to bed nearer to the normal time you go to bed in the US. The problem will be getting up early in the morning for a few days, since you will be used to London time. It will be fine. London is so much fun.

S

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: 7:45am flight Heathrow to Chicago?

We're coming back on Saturday and will both be heading into work on Monday. We just figured arriving back in the afternoon would give us time to sort laundry, do mail, groceries, etc. etc.

You are all right. It'll work out. I'm just going to owe the wife big time ;)

We don't drink - but we might by the time the trip is over. Haaa I'm kidding :) maybe.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 7:45am flight Heathrow to Chicago?

The only thing left is to check a hotel in close proximity to LHR.

======

I'll repeat I'd advise you not do this, it will:

a) Disrupt your last day

b) Save hardly any time. There are no hotels near T3, so either you'll get the shuttle, elapsed time of which will be little different to a pre-booked car service from Vauxhall, or pay £20 for a taxi, which will save about 30 minutes tops, at the cost of the last day disruption.

c) Assuming you cannot get a refund on your already booked hotel, cost at least another £75-£100 for the Heathrow one. Why not spend that on a nice meal on your last evening before your wife kills you :-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 7:45am flight Heathrow to Chicago?

We stayed at the Omni at the airport a couple of years ago and it worked well, not even a shuttle bus to take because the hotel is right at the airport.

=========

There is not an Omni hotel at Heathrow T3 where the OPs flight goes from. Or indeed any hotel.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: 7:45am flight Heathrow to Chicago?

Joe - last supper?? LOL.

yeah, I think having a pre-booked pickup at 4:30am to get us to Heathrow for the 7:45am flight - given that it's a Saturday and maybe security won't take as long plus printing out our own tickets so we don't have to go through that line, then maybe two hours might be enough time.

I've already prepped the wife for the ugly morning. We don't drink, but we'll be doing a late 25th wedding anniversary celebration. So, maybe a little champagne will help me? ;) Your idea of taking her out somewhere nice while the kids stay at the flat might get me out of the doghouse, somewhat. She recognizes that this is our first international trip; so it's a learning experience.

Thanks all for the tips/advice/suggestions. You may have saved a life today ;)

-Cheers.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 18:38
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 7:45am flight Heathrow to Chicago?

At that time on a Saturday the car journey won't take more than 45 minutes so 4.30 will be a sensible time for your pick up. Any later and you might end up rushing.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 7:45am flight Heathrow to Chicago?

This will be ever so much easier than taking the night bus to Heathrow. It took quite a long time, I was unsure where to transfer to it on the Strand, and it was amazing how many suitcases were piled on top of ours at the Heathrow bus station. I'll never book an early Sunday morning flight out of Heathrow again. You learn something every trip.

It was, however, the cheapest way to Heathrow early Sunday morning! (No tube 'til 8 am on Sunday)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 7:45am flight Heathrow to Chicago?

'yeah, I think having a pre-booked pickup at 4:30am to get us to Heathrow for the 7:45am flight ...' If you will have checked in on line the day before then arriving at the airport at 0530 should be sufficient.

'... maybe security won't take as long ...' If you are flying with AA from LHR T3 (not a codeshare operated by BA from T5 - worth double checking) then Security could be pokey or fairly speedy, it's difficult to predict. '... plus printing out our own tickets so we don't have to go through that line ...' If you will have bags to check then there is no benefit in printing boarding passes in advance as you may collect them at the bag drop desk.

Mrs 96 may have a brief moan about having to get up at cracko, but doing so *in* London will mean a considerably smaller moan than moving to a hotel near (not as near as you may wish) Heathrow on the last day of your holiday. You will waste time and energy travelling from London to a hotel in Bath Road and will have the last night of your holiday in an area with little to do except listen to planes arrive and depart. I would much rather get up early and be driven to the airport than schlep across half London for no real benefit.

Stay in London and do something fab to celebrate the anniversary.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,510 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 7:45am flight Heathrow to Chicago?

FWIW, the hotel I usually stay at has let me check out the night before and leave the keys in the room. Saves a little time in the AM, but I stay at a small hotel that doesn't have a 24h front desk, so don't know if other hotels would do the same. Tell your family they can always nap on the flight - there's not much exciting to do anyway.