We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip Report: 5days in London with 2 primary schoolers

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Family Trip Report: 5days in London with 2 primary schoolers

Now that the Belgian halfterm vacation draws to an end, our family is urged to pick up the usual routines again. So I'm longing to finally find time to start writing and posting my report snippets below. Our annual London family journey gave us five fine days to go out on another discovery, with the same fine group of five as last year (3 adults / 2 kids: my niece, my husband, our two boys almost 6 and 9, and myself).

From experience, we didn't want to set out with a too tight itinerary, except for my regular weekend classes and a few tickets booked in advance. Travelling with kids doesn't sit well with rigid scheduling, but of course I still indulged in browsing TA for possible scenarios, efficient transport and new suggestions. This time our wishlist covered a mixture of some new territory (Horniman Museum, Museum of Childhood, Thames Barrier, Royal Artillery Firepower) and a return to some bigshot sights, back by popular request (Tower of London, Natural History Museum), and as you'd guess some theatre too, sure, how could we resist?!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Family Trip Report: 5days in London with 2 primary schoolers

great to see people bothering to post trip reports, thx 4 sharing

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Family Trip Report: 5days in London with 2 primary schoolers

My pleasure, Michael. I see it as a small compensation for the valuable info and inspiration I always gather from here: Trip Advisor's “give and take” is what makes this forum so excellent. Plus for myself, I just enjoy the writeup, to store and prolong the fun of a trip. And obviously the interaction with you guys makes it all the more addictive ;-)

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Family Trip Report: 5days in London with 2 primary schoolers

As promised, some visuals now, to accompany my many words. Firstly, here's Marc's video summary, with our two young lads as leading men: www.youtube.com/watch…

My own photo selection is uploading as I type, so the link will follow shortly...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Family Trip Report: 5days in London with 2 primary schoolers

Finally had some time to catch up on more of your report. You always manage to have such a nice mix of the famous London sights and interesting off the beaten path ideas. It must have been so fun for the boys that you had that early morning Clipper to yourselves!

Marc's video really captured the excitement of the trip and was *almost* as good as Elias & Leon's efforts. ;) Glad he included some images of the evening pool ritual. It does indeed look like a fun way to end a day of sightseeing and I can see why you keep returning. Nice to hear that the deposit issue is being resolved as well.

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Family Trip Report: 5days in London with 2 primary schoolers

Hi there Rachel, always fun to have you travelling with us :-) Yes, actually the Clippers were a wonderfully quiet mode of transport throughout that whole day. By avoiding the commuters' rush hour, we always had lots of open seats and space to roam around and snap pictures. Really a highlight of our trip, especially the nighttime journey.

Thank you for your kind compliments, I'll pass them on to Marc! Btw, I chuckled at your wise and very diplomatic phrasing :-D

---

Sorry abour the delay with my photos. Had some problems uploading them in HD quality, but the link should be here first thing tomorrow morning...

Edited: 23 March 2014, 20:32
Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Family Trip Report: 5days in London with 2 primary schoolers

To round off our family's visual pottering, here's the link to mom's picture diary: https://vimeo.com/89798066

Will resume my day 5 writeup as soon as time allows; thank you for hanging in there...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
158 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Family Trip Report: 5days in London with 2 primary schoolers

Thankyou so much for sharing your writing and adventures. Much appreciated.

Bron

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Family Trip Report: 5days in London with 2 primary schoolers

Oh, you're welcome, Bron. Thank you for following in our footsteps :-) London really is a fab city to visit with kids: lots of history to discover, parks to play in, and attractive public transport modes. Longing to go back already as I type, lol!

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Family Trip Report: 5days in London with 2 primary schoolers

Just caught up with the video. Always love to see the joy and interest and energy your boys have amd your true enjoyment of the city.

And we even got to see a bit of Mum and Dad :-)

Norfolk
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Family Trip Report: 5days in London with 2 primary schoolers

Thanks to you all, for sharing your trip here.

Is it me or does Marc look a little like Steven Spielberg?