We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback for our June trip, please!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback for our June trip, please!

I am in the late stages of planning our trip to England and would appreciate any feedback that might help (our 25th wedding anniversary!). We fly nonstop from Washington DC to Heathrow arriiving early on Mon, June 23, plan to take the tube to our hotel, Soho Nadler (I think Picadilly Circus station and then walk...) We will be 4 nights in London (fyi, then 3 nights at Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2 nights in Bath, 2 nights in Chipping Campden, 1 night at Windsor to see the castle, fly home from Windsor. We will rent a car after Goodwood and see sights along the way.)

I would like to keep our itinerary in London pretty simple and not have too much rushing around. Will fit in a bit of shopping and nearby walking sights in between (Southbank, etc.) We will also plan a jazz show one evening near our hotel. Looked for tickets to Book of Mormon but not much available, which is Ok since we have the theater available near us in DC and New York. I know this looks pretty simple, but my thoughts are:

Monday - jetlag day, Westminster Abbey and area

Tuesday - British Museum, local shopping

Wednesday - Tower of London, nearby walking sights

Thursday - St. Paul's Cathedral and Tate Modern, Bourough Market if time

Fri - depart via train to Chichester for Goodwood weekend

I'm wondering if I am underplanning. Thanks for your thoughts!

Edited: 12 March 2014, 00:09
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback for our June trip, please!

Looks fine to me. What you are worrying about as underplanning is actually allowing time for wandering, strolling and seeing stuff that you just happen to come across.

Which is much better imo than the opposite (which so many people fall into) of planning an unrealistic amount of stuff so they end up pelting from one place to another and only seeing things that some expert has told them they can't miss.

London
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback for our June trip, please!

There is a jazz cafe in a basement near Piccadilly Circus that has lots of good cabaret stars, but I forget its name.

If you are a fan of automobiles, then the new James Bond exhibition in Covent Garden might be interesting for you.

ianvisits.co.uk/blog/…

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback for our June trip, please!

I think it looks nice and relaxed. What I would probably do is list some secondary sights in the area, such as the Churchill War Rooms near Westminster Abbey and the British Library near the British Museum and then if you finish earlier than you expect you will have some ideas of what else you want to do.

If it's open, stop into All Hallows by the Tower on the Tower of London day. It's free and pretty interesting to see.

That said, I agree that just wandering around London is interesting too, and you have left time for that.

Boston...
Level Contributor
391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback for our June trip, please!

Eclectic Angel-is the jazz/cabaret cafe near Piccadilly this one below? I have a friend who is a musical director and he posted recently about a well known singer being there last month. Even if it's not the same one, it's worth looking into, though I probably won't be able to do it myself.

http://www.brasseriezedel.com/crazy-coqs

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback for our June trip, please!

I've got to admit that the jazz/cabaret cafe near Piccadilly that came to mind was the Crazy Coqs.

Check out Brasserie Zedel - really good good, especially the steaks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback for our June trip, please!

I've been looking everywhere for a venue that is traditional cabaret-singers doing old standards, etc. It's been hard to find. I have a few shows while I am there (theatre) so I don't think I'll end up having time but it would be fun to go!

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback for our June trip, please!

Thanks much for the tips and information. I will post a trip report when I return for sure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback for our June trip, please!

I think your plan is just perfect. You have time to shop, visit the major touristic attractions and also enjoy a good show or two. I hope you will have a good time in London and I am looking forward to your reviews. Have a great day!

9. Re: Feedback for our June trip, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 05:28