We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Court vs. Windsor

Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Topic
Hampton Court vs. Windsor

I am travelling to London with my family this summer. We have not been there since the kids were very small; now they are both teenagers. I'm wondering whether Hampton Court or Windsor would be more engaging for them as a daytrip from London. I loved Hampton Court back when was a university student in London, but, then... I wasn't a teenage boy! We would take the train to Hampton and possibly the Thames river boat back to London. Thanks for any insight you could provide!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton Court vs. Windsor

As I suspect you realise there isn't an easy answer to this. Some will say Windsor and some will say Hampton Court. Indeed they already have as a word search of this forum will reveal. Here's one from 2010 - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k39244…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,726 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton Court vs. Windsor

Perhaps you could get them to check out the websites and see which if either triggers the imagination.

(Be warned, they might not fancy either and prefer somewhere like the London Dungeon, which seems to be in the teenager's job description!).

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton Court vs. Windsor

I would have your kids decide, but HCP is a long day--the boat ride back can take up to 4 hours depending on the tides,; you'll likely be bored and wish you were back in London doing something else.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,046 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton Court vs. Windsor

>>> We would take the train to Hampton <<<

Actually you would take the train to Hampton Court; Hampton is a separate station, two miles away and on a different line.

>>> and possibly the Thames river boat back to London <<<

A compromise here: you could take the Turks boat from Hampton Court to Kingston (35 minutes) or Richmond (1 hour 45 minutes) and catch a train back from either of those (at Richmond you also have the Underground District Line).

http://www.turks.co.uk/river-trips/

Edited: 12 March 2014, 18:11
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampton Court vs. Windsor

Windsor is a bigger town so it has more to offer. If it helps look at part 1 and part 2 of the Queen's Palaces - Windsor Castle on you tube by Fiona Bruce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Vi6XtB5hY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_g8mJfrOx0

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
558 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampton Court vs. Windsor

Having traveled to both with teenage boys, I would say HCP. The working kitchens, discussion of Tudor times (including peeing in the corner of rooms, which is gross to mention but the BOYS loved those details!) and the wonderful maze and wildlife was a winner. We took in both HCP and Windsor, and they loved it all but HCP was a highlight.

That being said, I agree going to websites and asking for ten minutes with them to show the activities, sights, etc is a great idea.

We didn't do London Dungeons nor did I offer ;-)

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hampton Court vs. Windsor

You say that you have been to Hampton Court before and you know your sons rather than us so which do you think they would prefer?

8. Re: Hampton Court vs. Windsor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 04:25