We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dr. Who Exhibit - train fare

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Topic
Dr. Who Exhibit - train fare

So, my 14yr old daughter is a huge Dr. Who fan. Actually, it seems a lot of the teens here in the US are. She and her friends aren't happy that the current one is being replaced. I grew up with the fourth one, Tom Baker.

Anyway - the exhibit in Cardiff is on her bucket list. I've looked at trains from Kings Cross Station to Cardiff Central on the national rail website. Our visit date in the middle of June is not available yet, so I used a date in May. Am I looking correctly at the cheapest fare during non-peak time for 2 adults and 2 children (14 and 12 yrs)? I saw £289.50 for return. Wow. Am I seeing things? Is that "normal" for a trip like that? If it is, then it's...."sorry dear daughter, we'll take you to the Dr. Who teeshirt shop in London instead."

Thanks in advance.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Dr. Who Exhibit - train fare

I checked out the megabus, just so I'd know....while it definitely is cheaper, (£44.50 vs £76.70) it adds an hour travel each way. I just had a discussion with someone that sometimes you pay more for convenience. We're definitely paying for the convenience of not sitting an extra hour on the bus ( or more if the bus gets stuck in traffic).

But, appreciate the tip. It's good to know all of your options! My teen daughter is excited about going to the exhibit and can't wait for June to get here!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dr. Who Exhibit - train fare

She will LOVE the Doctor Who Experience. We were there in October. Our fare from London Paddington to Cardiff was 64 pounds. It was a pleasant train ride. Once there you can take the Bay Car and it will drop you off right in front of the Doctor Who Experience.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Dr. Who Exhibit - train fare

Thanks Texaschick7! Just because of the 4+ total hours required on a train, we tried to talk her out of seeing it and dragging the rest of us with her. To no avail ;) She says it is on her bucket list. I guess we'll suck it up and go. She already has a list from school friends that want her to buy them something from the gift store. Crazy kids!

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,388 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dr. Who Exhibit - train fare

If the other kid doesn't want to go, you could split up and one adult and one kid go to Cardiff and the other adult and kid do something in London. Or the other adult and kid still go to Cardiff and go to Cardiff and/or Caerphilly Castle.

Newbury, England
Level Contributor
143 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dr. Who Exhibit - train fare

We went to the Dr Who exhibition in Cardiff last Sunday. You are allowed in at either quarter past or quester to the hour, as there is an interactive experience that you walk through first. Well worth it. You get to fly the Tardis! Even the adults in our group were excited by that (we all grew up on Dr Who). The café there does good well priced snack food. I recommend the Welsh cakes and the Bara Brith cake (a welsh fruit cake).

The Exhibition is on Cardiff bay and there are lots of places to eat and drink there, plus some very good Italian ice cream!

Cardiff is a great city. I think you will enjoy the trip.

PS: If the kids liked Roald Dahl when younger, he was christened in the Norwegian church just near the exhibition.

Llandudno, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Dr. Who Exhibit - train fare

Make sure you take plenty of money.our grandaughter cost us £150 in the gift shop,but the smile on her face was worth it.

We are taking her to london next month & she has to visit the who shop,or she will be so disappointed! How can we refuse?

Your daughter,will have a great time!

Tracy x

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
134 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Dr. Who Exhibit - train fare

The other option might be to do a walking tour. There are several listed for London. Not that I have any thing against Cardiff ,but it does seem a long way to go for a very short time. I googled Dr Who walking tours and several several came up with various prices.. Just a suggestion >

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Dr. Who Exhibit - train fare

Guess I'll check in a week or two and see about getting tickets. We originally planned the DWE trip for Monday, but think we'll switch to Sunday to take advantage of the lower train fares.

Just make sure there no engineering works on that Sunday. If there are then go on a week day. You will probably end up on replacement bus.

19. Re: Dr. Who Exhibit - train fare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 04:28