We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a long nighttime layover in london

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Murfreesboro...
14 posts
Save Topic
Advice for a long nighttime layover in london

I will be flying in to Heathrow around 7:30 pm on a saturday at terminal one, and departing at 9:30am on sunday. I would like to get in some sight seeing. I was thinking about Taking one of the night time bus tours. Saving time is more important to me than cost though i would perfer not to pay for a taxi all the way into london either. From the research ive done i would probably take the express to paddington and then a taxi from paddington to green park where the tour starts. Then a taxi back to paddington and the express back to terminal 4 once the tour ends. Is this feasible? i want to avoid missing the express back to the airport or would it be better to just find a hotel near paddington and catch the express in the morning?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a long nighttime layover in london

'From the research ive done i would probably take the express to paddington and then a taxi from paddington to green park where the tour starts.' Why? Not only is the HEX not at all budget friendly, but the Piccadilly line of the Underground will take you to Green Park station in 45 minutes, about the same time as HEX (which runs just four times an hour v eight to 10 Underground trains from LHR T1,3) plus taxi, and leave considerably more money in your pocket.

'Then a taxi back to paddington and the express back to terminal 4 once the tour ends. Is this feasible?' Yes, but only if you're looking forward to changing trains at Heathrow (the HEX does not operate to T4), donating more money to the London economy, and going out of your way once again.

'... would it be better to just find a hotel near paddington and catch the express in the morning?' Probably not.

Let us know the dates you will be in London and the terminal of departure for your flight on Sunday morning, although at a guess it will be from LHR T4. If there are no planned works on the Underground that would have an impact on the trip from airport to city centre then take the Tube to Green Park and be glad to have done so.

Depending on when you will fly on a Sunday morning, consider booking a hotel near Hounslow Central station (the Travelodge and Days Inn are both two minutes' walk from the station and quite acceptable hotels) where you may hop on the Piccadilly line for quick access to Heathrow on Sunday morning.

Murfreesboro...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a long nighttime layover in london

I will be departing out of terminal 4. dates of travel are ariving april 26th departing april 27th. I will be traveling alone. Since i will have to go through immigration i want the fastest/safest way into the city. I fly out 9:30 am sunday. i don't know anything about the area so any advice is appreciated. I would perfer to stay somewhere very close to a station as well as a tour stop. I don't care to do a whole lot of walking around by myself at night. A

Edited: 15 March 2014, 07:26
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,752 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a long nighttime layover in london

By the time you land and get into central London it will be around 9.00-9.30pm which is too late for the 'night tours which start at 7 or 8pm.

On Sunday your flight departure means you would have to leave London between 5.30 and 6.30 depending on your destination which would rule out the tube. In short coming into London is a bit of a lost cause. I would find the nicest hotel you can afford near Heathrow itself and make a virtue of some rest.

Murfreesboro...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a long nighttime layover in london

Are There any that run later? Im ok with not getting much sleep as I will have plenty of time to sleep on the plane ride back to the US. I would hate to waste an oppurtunity I most likely wont get again.

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a long nighttime layover in london

What about booking the Yotel at LHR?

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for a long nighttime layover in london

Dear Racheal, there is always a way to do this. If you can come to see London for even an evening, then it is totally worth it rather than an anonymous hotel at Heathrow, if you're happy to spend the money.

It is quite a trek into central London, but I agree with posters above that though the Heathrow Express seems quicker, Paddington really isn't close to London's major sites. If you take the underground Piccadilly line, you can get off pretty much anywhere you like, and you'll be able to stay anywhere in London that's within a minute or so of a Piccadilly line station (though staying out of town will obviously be cheaper).

I have no idea about night tours but a quick Google seems to throw up loads of them.

This one seems to leave until pretty late, and stops near several Piccadilly line stations eg. Hyde Park Corner, Green Park, so you could just jump right off and get on the tour.

london-by-night.net/…timetable

If the idea of being in London for a certain time to start a tour seems stressful, there is nothing wrong with getting a Piccadilly line to Leicester Square, and from there you can walk around or stroll in 5mins to Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, into Chinatown, or to Covent Garden. I appreciate it may seem daunting to just walk around by yourself in a strange city, but the West End will be full of tourists, it'll be very busy and bustling and you're unlikely to get lost, there's signs and even volunteers who give directions. You could stay there near Leicester Sq (though it is smack bang in the middle of the West End so will not be the cheapest place) and then get back on the Piccadilly line to Heathrow.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for a long nighttime layover in london

" You could stay there near Leicester Sq (though it is smack bang in the middle of the West End so will not be the cheapest place) and then get back on the Piccadilly line to Heathrow."

First Piccadilly line train from Leicester Square on a Sunday doesn't get to Heathrow until nearly 0800.

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for a long nighttime layover in london

Ah, didn't see it was a Sunday. Be better off going back to the airport on the last tube on Saturday night then.

Murfreesboro...
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for a long nighttime layover in london

Thanks for your help. I defenitly plan on seeing something. Even if i just get off the tube take a picture of big ben or some other sight and head back to the airport. :)

Murfreesboro...
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for a long nighttime layover in london

Which of these is the closet to heathrow on the piccadily line?

Victoria - Buckingham Palace Road,

Grosvenor Hotel Stop Stop 12

Marble Arch - Park Lane, Tourist Bus Stop, Northbound

Marble Arch - Park Lane, Coach Stop, Southbound

London Hilton Hotel, park Lane, Stop B

Hyde Park Corner - Old Park Lane, Hard Rock Café, Stop C 1

Green Park - Underground Station, Stop J

Piccadilly Circus - Haymarket, Stop P

Trafalgar Square - Pall Mall East, Stop Z

London Eye - County Hall, Stop F 19:53

St Paul's Cathedral - Ludgate Hill, Tourist Bus Stop

Tooley Street, Tourist Bus Stop