We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR long layover

N. California
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
LHR long layover

I want to buy a lounge pass (or do something nice) for a friend that has a 9 hour layover at LHR. He is flying on BA terminal 5 and his visa doesn't permit him to go landside. I thought about the Servisair lounge and it appears he will have plenty of time to go between terminals but does he stay airside between lounges. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR long layover

There aren't any lounges you can pay for in T5. Business or first class passengers only.

Edited: 15 March 2014, 21:29
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR long layover

Moreover I don't believe you can change terminals airside unless doing an airside connection and have a valid boarding pass - unless someone can correct me. FYI this is probably better in the Air Travel Forum

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR long layover

I want to buy a lounge pass (or do something nice) for a friend that has a 9 hour layover at LHR. He is flying on BA terminal 5 and his visa doesn't permit him to go landside.

======

Then there is nothing you can do except buy him an upgrade to business class :-)

Or slightly cheaper, maybe there are vouchers you can buy for Gordon Ramsay T5 restaurant perhaps? He will have no access to other terminals for the lounges there, its not allowed without a boarding pass for a flight departing from one of those terminals.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR long layover

Unless I'm missing something and that could be. why not a lounge pass for the airline he is traveling on, he wouldn't need business or first class just buy one on line. I always get one for whatever airline I fly. If they didn't have one for my specific airline I can use their partners lounge just find out if he is changing to another airline and take it from there, it shouldn't be a problem.

Collie

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR long layover

Collie, you are missing something. British Airways is the *only* airline at Heathrow Terminal 5 and they don't offer purchased lounge passes. There are no other lounges.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR long layover

Infidellic, you are quite right. If you transit at Heathrow, you must go straight to the terminal from where your flight departs. You are not allowed in the departure lounge of any other terminal, even if your inbound flight arrived elsewhere.

That means the OP's friend must go directly to T5 and remain there. And unfortunately as there are no contract lounges, and BA doesn't offer a paid day pass, there are no lounge options, unless the passenger is booked into Business class or is OneWorld Emerald or higher.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LHR long layover

Thanks for the info. Are there lounges at the other terminals there?

Or are there no lounges for BA at the airport at all, that would be strange.

Is it possible to get one and just use a different terminal, I've had to do that a few times with other airlines in different airports. The desk people in the lounges are so good at telling us when we need to get over to the next terminal for our flight.

Don't know if it's possible there or not. I will be getting a lounge pass for AA and using it at Heathrow before my trip back to the US, so I guess I'll find out how it works over there.

Collie

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LHR long layover

Collie,

Please read the earlier posts.

You can ONLY use the terminal from which your flight departs. You CANNOT access any other terminal. So if your flight departs from T5 you cannot use T1,2,3 or 4. No ifs or buts.

And nobody has said that BA don't have lounges. They do. But they do NOT sell day passes. The only way you can access a BA lounge is if either (a) you are flying business or first class on BA or another OneWorld airline, or (b) you have Silver or higher status in BA Executive Club or Emerald or higher status with OneWorld.

So, if you're departing from T5 in economy and are not BAEC Silver or higher or 1W Emerald or higher there are no lounges for you, as there are no third party contract lounges in T5.

There are contract lounges in T1 (Servisair) and T3 (Servisair and No.1). And when T2 opens there will be a Plaza Premium lounge there. But no contract lounges in T4 or T5. - heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/s…

N. California
Level Contributor
36 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LHR long layover

Thanks so much for the replies. That's what I thought, but not what I wanted to hear :)

I'll check out the Gordon Ramsay restaurant.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LHR long layover

cruzerd,

I understand your (friend's) frustration. This is one of the downsides of Heathrow, especially for pax in transit.

Heathrow is generally a very good airport for O&D (origin and destination) pax but for transit - especially between terminals i.e. long waits for transit buses, and then the fact you can't use facilities available in other terminals - it falls short.